TBM9 Ferry Flight Log from France to California

TBM9-France-California

This is my flight Log simulating a real-world ferry from the TBM Factory in France to Camarillo, California based on this YouTube video:

I’ll be including all of my flight planning, screenshots, and notes while trying to keep everything as realistic as possible, including weather, proper fuel planning, alternates, etc.

Route Log

GCMap Route Data

Departure Arrival Distance Time FLP Notes
LFBT EGPK 761 nm 2:18
EGPK BIRK 734 nm 2:13
BIRK CYFB 1207 nm 3:39
CYFB CYWG 1241 nm 3:45
CYWG KISN 273 nm 0:50
KISN KFOM 273 nm 2:02
KFOM KCMA 432 nm 1:18

I’ll be adding to the route log above as I fly each leg.

20 Likes

Looks like fun! Enjoy, and good luck to you.

2 Likes

Woah, make sure you take some more pictures :)

1 Like

Leg 1 of 7 / LFBT to EGPK Flight Plan

I’m departing from LFBT, where Daher-Socata who makes the TBM9 is located. To make this journey as realistic as possible, I’ll be starting up at Daher-Socata 1 and use ForeFlight as my inflight assistant. It really takes simulation and learning to the next level.

I’ve set a performance profile for the TBM9 as such:

Climb Cruise Descent
170/40 330 ktas 2000fpm

So by the numbers, for every flight I make using the TBM9, climb out at 170kts/M0.4, cruise at 252 kias and I’ll descend at 2000fpm to hit whatever fix brings me into arrival at each arrival airport. I’ll assume these numbers for each leg of the trip.

I’d like to cruise at a higher altitude for this flight, but I’ll be cruising at FL180 due to a severe cross wind of about 100kts over most of France.

IFR as Filed (with some clean up to match IF). I haven’t filed an alternate, because I’m expecting VFR conditions at both airports.

Departure Arrival Route Altitude ETD Fuel
LFBT EGPK LFBT OSVEG BASTO SAU LIBRU NIRAP LEMKA NUVNU TABIL LANOM SENLO LUMOG GARMI AMTOD EXARO DISIT NODGU NUGRA MIRSI WTN SUBUK RIPNO TRN EGPK FL180 2030Z 4h00m

I’m departing in about 20 minutes if anyone would like to join me.

4 Likes

A VS of -2000 is a LOT for a little TBM.

I’m landing at BIKF in about an 1 hr 10 mins. When’s the second leg, or if you’re willing to wait for me?

1 Like

This seems fun man! Hope all goes well for you :)

1 Like

@Altaria55 I pulled the numbers from here:

https://www.rocketroute.com/aircraft/socata-tbm900

1 Like

@Altaria55 I’ll be adding details for the second leg later tonight and probably fly it tomorrow. I’ll give it enough time that for anyone who wants to join, they’ll be able to (half a days notice that is).

Leg 2 of 7 / EGPK to BIRK Flight Plan

Looks like there’s going to be some weather out of Prestwick (EGPK) with clouds few at 1200’, broken at 1700’, and wind from 20 at 8 kts. Visibility is about 6 sm.

Current conditions at BIRK are Low IFR with visibility at 0.31 sm due to fog. This will be a great time to practice those IFR skills.

Departure Arrival Route Altitude ETE Fuel
EGPK BIRK EGPK PKW01 PK201 TRN GOW ORSUM STN BILLY BARKU RATSU ALDAN ASRUN EL BIRK FL280 3h31m 4.5h
2 Likes

If you can take some screenshots of the flight and post it here!!

1 Like

Leg 1 of 7 / LFBT to EGPK Screenshots and Notes

InfiniteFlight_2019-06-14-03-49-18

Nice and easy flight from Tarbes where the TBM is manufactured by Socata. I parked at S1 at LFBT and you can see the foothills of the alps sitting in the background.

InfiniteFlight_2019-06-14-03-53-48

The view out of the cockpit while lining up on 02.

InfiniteFlight_2019-06-14-03-50-26

A nice CAVOK takeoff from LFBT.

InfiniteFlight_2019-06-14-03-56-33

Some rising terrain on approach to Prestwick.

InfiniteFlight_2019-06-14-04-01-40

Lining up for final

3 Likes

Leg 2 of 7 / EGPK to BIRK Screenshots and Notes

VFR to IFR weather was the name of the game on this leg. Beautiful conditions out of Prestwick but then visibility of about 2 sm into Reykjavik into the evening sun. It was an uneventful and short flight. Iqaluit is up next, where it will be COLD. In reverse order…

On final into BIRK. The evening sun was casting a nice glow into a foggy landing.

At this point, I’m nearing Iceland.

Takeoff from 03 at EGPK.

3 Likes

Leg 3 of 7 / BIRK to CYFB Flight Plan

After some initial flight planning using Skyvector and Foreflight, this is the route I’ve come up with. I’ll be flying the KFV4 departure out of Reykjavik and the USBIV RNAV approach for RWY 16 into Iqaluit if current weather holds. ForeFlight is telling me to plan for 5h35m while Skyvector is telling me 4h16m. I’ve decided to opt for what ForeFlight is telling me fuel-wise.

BIRK Weather

Winds are from 170° at 9kts and variable from 140°-200° with visibility more than 6sm. I’ll probably request RWY 19 due to the winds and that will set me up nicely for the KFV4 departure.

CYFB Weather

The TAF is showing between a 5-8kt wind from ~170° the next several hours with wind dying down altogether towards the end of the day. I plan on landing at RWY 16 unless things drastically change for some reason.

Cruise Weather

No major storms between BIRK and CYFB. I’m expecting about a 24 kts headwind most of the way at FL280.

FlightPlan

Departure Arrival Route Altitude ETE ETD Fuel
BIRK CYFB KFV4 KFV SORIR SOPEN NONRO NASOP DA GH CLAVY N898A MUSVA DUTUM XUDPA FL280 5h35m 0614@1815Z 214g
2 Likes

Nice detailed briefings/planning, beautiful shots! Safe flight!

1 Like

Leg 3 of 7 / BIRK to CYFB Screenshots and Notes

I’ve made it to Iqaluit. Nice and beautiful conditions both ways. There was nothing out of the ordinary for this flight other than the leg over Greenland, which was mostly white…

Taking off from Reykjavik with a rising moon in the background.

Heading inland toward Iqaluit. There are hundreds of bays and inlets in this part of northeastern Canada.

Touching down at Iqaluit under the morning sun. I’m off to Winnipeg next.

1 Like

Leg 4 of 7 / CYFB to CYWG Flight Plan

Looks to be a 1271 nm flight to Winnipeg from Iqaluit. Around 4 hours or so. As of now, I’ve set up an approach and arrival that sets me up for RWY 36 at CYWG if conditions hold.

CYFB Weather

We’ve got low IFR conditions at Iqaluit. Visibility is about 4 sm and overcast at 300’. Wind is from 150° at 5kts.

CYWG Weather

TAF is showing wind at 40° at 10kts around 1pm and visibility more than 6sm. Light rain showers in the area.

Cruise Weather

No major storms along my path until I get into Winnipeg and it looks like there are popup thunderstorms happening throughout the day.

FlightPlan

CYFB CYWG CYFB VITAG KELTO URVEV IPRUP VEPTA IPSIV DEDKA CYWG FL260 5h00m 193g
2 Likes

Leg 4 of 7 / CYFB to CYWG Screenshots and Notes

A beautiful evening flight in the northern sun. Over 3 hours of flying, the sun never seemed to go down. The Sun was on side of the horizon and the moon the other. Everything had the twilight glow which is definitely one of my favorite times to fly. The next hop will have me doing a short hop into North Dakota to clear US customs as did the pilot in the video I referenced in the original post.

Take off and a departure south from Iqaluit.

High in the sky at FL260. Flying below airliners but above the rest of Infinite Flights GA fleet leads to some quiet and peaceful airspace.

This is 3ish hours later and you can see there’s still light on the horizon. Picked up some of the far northern hemisphere’s night sun.

3 Likes

Very nice reminds me a bit of what @Skybear did a little while back

Leg 5 of 7 / CYWG to KISN Flight Plan

This will be a relatively short flight at about an hour and a half. I’m flying into North Dakota to clear US Customs and then I’ll be off to Fillmore, Utah for Leg 6 of the trip. I’ve consulted the TBM9 POH and have decided to use its recommended params for climb, cruise, and descent on this leg.

Climb Cruise Descent
124 kts 93% N1 235kts at 1500 fpm

CYWG Weather

VFR conditions at CYWG with variable winds. There is a NOTAM that Runway 13/31 is closed until 22 July. Due to the VRB winds, I’ve chosen to takeoff on RWY 31.

KISN Weather

TAF says we’ve got VFR conditions with Clouds FEW at 5,000’ the rest of the day. Winds are from 140 at 7 kts and 6+ sm of visibility. I’ve opted for the a direct flight to KISN and the OFBUF RNAV approach to RWY 11.

Cruise

No significant weather along the way.

Flight Plan

CYWG KISN CYWG AVOTU DUXUS PEPKA OFBUF EYURE CUPIK ZELNO KISN FL260 1h28m 96 g
1 Like

I’m currently doing a TBM flight across America. Still early in it as I just finished my second flight from Fresno Yosemite to Mammoth Lakes. Can’t wait to get into Wyoming and into the Rockies.

2 Likes