TBM beacon lights

I know in infinite flight’s video on YouTube they said there was no beacon light for the TBM but I found a real life TBM video on YouTube and I saw beacon lights flashing on the wing tips. So I screenshoted it.

Credit for the picture is FL -HDplanespotting on YouTube
Video link: https://youtu.be/ur_rCG8lAvY

Those aren’t beacon lights. The beacon light is a red or white light on the tail at the very top. What you see are navigation lights

4 Likes

Hmm but I thought nav lights don’t flash

1 Like

If you go to about 1:25 into the video you will see

1 Like

Those don’t flash… what you could be seeing as well are strobe lights which are white and do flash. They take the place of a beacon of a plane doesn’t not have a beacon

1 Like

Oh but in the video they were flashing red

1 Like

Those are nav lights that just pulse.

1 Like

Those are Nav lights @Jet_Aviationxx

Definitely not beacon

2 Likes

Oh ok because I didn’t know nav lights flash. I thought it was only strobes and beacon lights that flash

1 Like

I’ve never seen nav lights pulse like that but I can tell you 1000% those are not beacon lights

1 Like

Some Nav Lights do flash, as is the case with the TBM. Flashing Nav lights are more common in the maritime sector but are also present on some GA aircarft. All lights on planes are there primarily to aid other pilots see them, flashing lights can help fellow pilots see it with the lack of beacon lights.

7 Likes

Just to clarify, you Definatly do not have flashing navigation lights in the maritime section on vessels. You have steady Port, starboard, stern and mast lights.

Like the aviation world however beacons ( lighthouses, navigation bouys etc) do flash and have different patterns to help you find your way.

Perhaps pulsing nav marks on a TBM only come into operation when the ‘beacon’ would be used? Would have to wait for a TBM Expert to advise there!

2 Likes

That is not your beacon light is the navigation light. not all GA planes have a beacon light
the difference is a beacon light is the red flashing light and it alerts people if your engine is running or is about to start (even though you should always yell clear prop) and the navigation light is used by other planes to tell which way you are going.

1 Like

Just like ServerGhost said, there just might be an odd thing with the camera make it look like they’re flashing. So far I haven’t seen any flashing navagation lights on aircraft. Only thing I have seen flashing or pulsing are strobes, Beacon and landing lights.

1 Like

I believe that do to the frame rate the camera uses that the navigation light seems to pulse. This effect can also be seen with props on camera and helicopters. Can’t find it but there is a cool video where the frames of the camera match perfectly with the rate of the spinning blades and makes it look like the helicopter rises by magic.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.