Taxiway Map

Hi
Quick suggestion regarding taxiway…
Maybe due to my little experience I always wonder how to find my way onthe ground so why not (if technically possible) an airport taxiway map. That would help saving time looking where to go or going arround and getting lost. At night vision taxiway is impossible also.
A ground map would help as well to end the flight correctly. I mean after landing I always use to end the flight while still on the runaway because I have no clue where to go. A complete flight means a start and an end at “safe” parking station. Taxiway after landing should be part of the flight plan and a user managing to reach this final destination should get at the end a better xp rewards

Thanks and enjoy this wonderful app which is IF
Cheers
Eric

101 Likes

I’ve offen thought the same thing if you zoom out and check before pushback it helps

2 Likes

In the real world, a pilot should know (or have a pretty good idea) how the taxiways are laid out between the runways and one’s parking area. Taxiways are named and use an alphabetical system to order them along the field.

So do what Brandon does and have a look around from outside and overhead the plane noting where the taxiways leading to the active runway lie. If you have to, use the ATC view to get the layout on the other end of the airport. Try to have a good idea where the important turns and junctions are.

When I spawn in, the first thing I do is turn-off the Nav and Beacon lights to indicate to those eager controllers that I’m not going anywhere yet. I make a flight plan, either on the map or in my head, look at the taxiway to the active and then turn on the Nav and Beacon and request Pushback. The active runway is found through listening to ATIS, using the map and looking at the colors of the runway numbers and where they are relative to where you’re parked, or using the communications menu. Looking at the METAR will show the current wind direction so take off on a runway that is most nearly directly into the wind.

When landing and exiting the runway, use the outside overhead view when the plane is below 30-40 Kts and find the nearest taxiway, a gently curving one is best and found at the major airports. Start slowing down but keep moving until you fully cross the Hold Short line (solid) that separates the runway from the taxiway - then stop. If you need to cross another runway immediately (LAX), contact ground immediately and request the crossing, leave your strobes and landing lights on for the crossing but if you have to wait for a landing aircraft before crossing, turn off at least the strobes, it could affect the landing pilots vision. Once fully (get that tail across the line too) on the taxiway, turn the strobes and landing light off (landing light can stay on if needed but turn if off when coming to the “terminal”).

10 Likes

I recommend using airport diagrams online. Simply search on Google the ICAO code of the airport you’re at and put “airport diagram” after it. Go to images and TADA!

Sometimes it doesn’t work on smaller airports, but it does work on big airports like KJFK, KLAX, KSAN, KSFO, and so on.

3 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

I suppose you’re saying it may get “laggy” if you look around before taxi. If so, I’m not sure I agree. I haven’t noticed it becoming so when I’ve done it and even if it did, so what, you’re not moving so there’s little downside. I also suspect that it doesn’t persist in the app once you’ve changed the view state. And while I think it’s valuable to have the taxiways printed out, or as an image in some other app, it’s quicker and more relevant to one’s current situation to use the look around method.

Thank you all of you for answers.
That helps

Cheers
Eric

1 Like

This topic should get revived. With the implementation of 2D jetways, it would be nice to plan out your taxiway to the terminal with an enhanced map that would have the gate numbers and taxiway signs. So far in my experience its difficult to find the gates with dual jetways for the jumbos. It would also give ground controllers the ability to direct aircraft along certain taxiway routes to prevent aircraft coming in from opposite ends.

6 Likes

With atc directing it wouldn’t work on playground because some pilots can’t even follow the HOLD SHORT command let alone things lie taxiing along Zulu and holding short of alpha

3 Likes

Honestly, they should make Advanced invite only to prevent dimwits like that from ruining the game.

“Mad Max Sends” has commented on this topic numerous time in the past. The recommendations here are common sence, Use all the camera views during taxi particularly the exterior aircraft view and most particularly the expanded Tower Views prior to push back. On the move to the active I use the exterior aircraft camera view almost exclusively. One readily available source that is often overlooked is the in cockpit radar display. This display is expandable and has multiple perspectives.I use this display for field orientation and refer to it continuely on taxi as I toggle in and out of the exterior camera view until I’m satisfied my route to the active hold line is spot on. Taxi way signage, placards, surface numbering, arrows etc. plus Blue Taxiway light are already on the airfield working groups to-do list, there coming. One item needed and not mentioned often enough here is the need for an in App field diagram. It’s been suggested that field diagrams be added to the field data block already displayed in “Map Info”. Bottom line understand the wizardry built into your aircraft and fly smart. There’s really no excuse for Pilot Error by those pilots who just kick the tire and go for it. A lack of Tech, System and Aeronotical Knowlege lead to a very bad flying day for all of us and a lot of PO’d community members. End

(@Swang007. I stand corrected as Swang 007 noted below;Taxiway accoutrements are Phil’s responsibility not the Rway crews.)

Every feature related to airports in IF that can be used are already being used in the game. That being said, any feature requests related to airports (like blue taxiway lights, red boundary lights, runway approach lights, runway centerline lights, TDZ lights, different kinds of hold-short lights, taxiway centerline lights, etc…) would all be handled by Philippe.

Hey guys, guess what I have!!!

www.kiltmchaggis.com

Enjoy

4 Likes

2 Likes

He may want something real time in the game sure. Am I not allowed to be helpful and provide schematics of the airports to help others? Is there something wrong with providing an interim solution until something better comes along. ;p

Kilt’s inventory is definitely a temporary solution, but I think long-term the majority of people would find it more convenient for information to be available in-game, instead of looking for 3rd party solutions.

2 Likes

Absolutely. I would love to see a graphic open up when you select a gate. That is reasonably easy to achieve. Also would be nice to select Airport Chart on the HUD screen with taxiways. It will all happen in time. I am merely providing a stepping stone for people who are unfamiliar with the airport layouts.

1 Like

How long it takes to make
I want this

I am not a developer. The in game capability is not something I can provide, however, I have provided a lot of IF specific schematics which show all of the gates and taxiways.

www.kiltmchaggis.com