Taxing to parking question

Hi all, just a quick question that’s been playing on my mind for a while. I’ve done a search and couldn’t find the answer.

So say I’ve exited the runway and contacted ground to get permission to taxi to parking which has been granted, but I have to cross another runway to get to my stand, I get passed over to tower to get the clearance to cross and then passed back to ground once clear.

Do I then have request taxi to parking again or does the previous clearance still stand?

Many thanks for any help.

5 Likes

just continue taxing to parking cause you were already cleared

3 Likes

Well that’s what I thought, but as the controller doesn’t know what stand I’m going to when they first clear me to parking there maybe some kind of issue if I just continued to taxi without permission after crossing the runway.

1 Like

since there is no comand for the controller to tell you where to park you can go to any stand, but be aware of other aircraft and which direction you are taxing!!

2 Likes

Ok cool. Thanks for the reply. :)

1 Like

Ground taxiing can be hectic, but yes, you already have clearance.

2 Likes

From my point of view, as ground also have ability to clear to cross runway, maybe would be less conflictive that the controller do not switch you to tower other time.

However, in the case you are asking, the first clearance allows you to taxi to parking, so when you are re-switched to ground after crossing the runway, do not need to ask other time for clearance. Just taxi to parking and if the controller do not remember you were taxiing to parking, he could open your log and will find the previous clearance.

2 Likes

We do this often in IFATC. This is to avoid constant back-and-forth between ground and tower “can I cross so and so” “not yet I have a plane on final I’ll let you know”. It’s less work for both so tower can just tell them to cross the runway when it’s available for them to cross.

4 Likes

Ok thanks for the quick answer!

Not true. You need a specific clearance to cross any runway.

@JerseyAnt if they just say taxi to parking go to the next runway and request crossing clearance. But if they tell you to cross then you have clearance to cross (and you can request ground to cross a runway too)

1 Like

He requested taxi to parking then was sent to tower for runway crossings. He wanted to know if he needed another clearance for taxi to parking

3 Likes

Think @CPT_Colorado said anything about crossing runways

2 Likes

Oh now I get it sorry

2 Likes

Thank you for all the replies and for clearing my doubt as to what to do. You’ve put my mind at rest so now I know I don’t have to request another taxi clearance.

😃😃

1 Like

MaxAsks: What the necessity to pass control from ground to p tower once cleared to parking by Tower is granted and ground has control? Ground has the authority to authorize runway crossing in both the Uney and the active ground menu?
Just Asking…Max

1 Like

Sometimes IFATC will send an aircraft back to Tower for a runway crossing if at a busy airport as it just helps with efficiency. This saves from the controller having to communicate back in forth in our slack channel so that Tower will tell them when to cross.

If they send the aircraft to the Tower frequency, the Tower controller can issue the runway crossing when safe to do so and this allows the ground controller to focus on other duties, including pushbacks, progressive taxis etc.

4 Likes

@Declan_O… MaxSez: Seem convoluted to me. Not very efficient and time consuming as well. “Like real word Towers have direct Comm with Ground+, IFATC has Slack.”
Kiss is the answer, Ground has the dot once Control is passed. A double pass is just redundancy and those who practice this procedure need some Adult Guidance, LOL.
“Progressive Taxi” is a reach. It In the menu but rarely used. I’ve had 1 progressive on the Trainer once in 3000+ hour never on Expert even at an empty airport.
Just Sayin, Max

2 Likes

I understand that and how it can look like it’s not the most efficient way from an outside perspective. But if the ground controller has to also keep an eye on the slack channel to see when it is safe to issue the crossing clearance, that means they are not fully concentrating on controlling the rest of a busy airfield. Obviously if it’s quiet then ground can do the crossing and they should, but if it’s busy, it’s sometimes easier to send them to Tower.

It really depends on the situation at the time.

2 Likes

Progressive taxi is used on expert server to avoid runway crossings just as you described too. In fact, I used it today at KSFO myself.
Runway 1L and 1R were mainly used for departures. To equalise the takeoff queues, we had to send some aircraft to 1R, but to avoid them crossing 1L we used progressive taxi instructions a lot to keep them going to the end of 1L, then using a taxiway behind 1L to get aircraft to 1R but not having to interfere with departures either.

The orange line is for 1R departures, and the green line is for 1L departures.
But with a lot of airports, we have no choice but to get aircraft to cross runways, and when it gets busy it can be hard to keep communicating through slack and focusing on traffic at the same time as @Declan_O said.

2 Likes

@TimShan05. MaxSez: Understand Progressive Concept and Support it. As noted only forced to experienced it once on the Trainer a year ago. Have yet to note its use on EXP.
Since there is no request for a progressive in the Pilots Ground Menu’s its a Controllers Option thus it’s pie in the sky to me since as a Pilot when needed I Can’t request it!
On The Slack issue Ground has a Radar repeater, just a glance at the field, Apron & Pattern make a cross Approval a no brainer. If y can’t multi-Task don’t drive the Train!

Regards, Max