Taxi - requesting progressive taxi instructions

With FDS’s 19.2 update come progressive taxi instructions, where the ATC has the ability to provide the pilot with extra taxi instructions. For those who didnt know this yet, more can be read in the 19.2 announcement.

Progressive taxi is a great tool for the ATC to instruct aircrafts on the platform in such a way conflicts can be avoided. But, and this is where my idea comes from, its also a great tool to help pilots who appear lost, don’t seem to know how to get to the correct runway and would appreciate some extra help from the controller. But right now, pilots can’t request for help.

My request is to complete this amazing new functionality, and add an extra instruction for the pilot on the ground to request additional (progressive) taxi instructions.

The idea of the feature is that it contains one instruction for pilots on Ground only. The request could be ‘request further instructions’ or something like that, indicating that the pilots needs help to find its way to the platform or runway. The Ground ATC would have the ability to respond ‘expect progressieve taxi instructions’ or ‘taxi as per own insight’ (or something like that’.

Easy vote. I’m surprised this wasnt already added, hopefully it comes teamed with an “unable” for ATC!

7 Likes

Don’t forget to vote for your own request

3 Likes

There it comes my vote also. Would be nice

3 Likes

I like this idea, however I think that pilots will constantly abuse this feature because they are too lazy to find their own way to the runway. I agree with @Mags885, an unable button would be necessary. Overall though it’s still a cool feature request!

2 Likes

You easily have my vote.

1 Like

I see your and @Mags885’s point; that is a risk, and this may well be the reason why it’s not there yet. That, or I just had a brilliant brainwave 😊

There is the ‘continue taxi at your discretion’ to instruct pilots who don’t need extra taxi instructions.
And perhaps the progressive taxi instruction request can be made available to Expert server only?

6 Likes

Yeah, actually the continue taxi at your discretion would work as an unable button, hadn’t though about that. In that case, it just might work.

1 Like

This would get abused for sure.

No one forces the controller to provide them. Simply implement an „unable to provide at this time“ like they did for radar vectors.

3 Likes

You have my vote i couldn’t agree more would make the game more realistic

Wouldn’t we need multiple instructions in one command? Like turn left next go straight ahead, turn right contact twr when ready. Otherwise I think this isn’t really needed yet, because you would have to send a different command pretty often. Still got my vote:)

Hey, good coment, I have mi vote.

It would probably work just like how it works right now. When a pilot requests progressive taxi instructions, the ATC can either accept or refuse. If they accept, the ATC just uses the standard progressive taxi instructions, like turn right, turn left, etc. It wouldn’t add any extra work for ATC controllers.

It’s a nice idea, however as we are constantly reminded progressive taxi is very taxing on the controller. Generally the quieter airports are those with a simpler layout, and the airports where people would want to request it are those like EHAM, where they will be denied every time. Also from a sense of realism pilots plan their taxi routes, they wouldn’t usually ask for strop by step directions (By this I mean turn left, turn right) from the controllers.

Not sure if this applies to this thread but Tyler also closed another request which was very similar.

2 Likes

The controller could always say “unable”.

Which is my point. At the airports where this would be useful, the controllers would be too busy, and just have to say unable. Therefore the feature would be rarely used, and would just add more spam to an already extremely busy frequency.

This Is A Duplicate of a closed topic.
Tyler Closed The other one for a reason.
Here is The Closed One:
New Option for Progressive Taxi

No, when I land at my nearest controlled airport in real life, tower will hand me to „Hannover Rollkontrolle“ (ground) and they’ll tell me something like this:
D-KMTS, exit via Charlie, continue on Foxtrott 1, turn left on Mike, park at GAT 12. I’ll quickly take notes of the instruction and then look on my Aerodrome Ground Movement Chart which gives me an overview of the taxiway network and parking areas.

In Infinite Flight it’s: taxi to parking

What do we see: a pilot actually doesn’t plan his/her taxi route.

I‘m sure there are pilots in IF planing their taxi routes, but you can hardly tell on which taxiway you are in game at the moment (I still root for taxiway markings and a taxiway map though).

Why not use this hopefully temporary solution for taxi commands and help the pilots out a little?

1 Like

Ofcourse it brings more work! Most of the times planes have to make 2 or more turns, that are 3 more messages (accept progressive taxi instructions, Turk left, turn right) I think I would deny it most of the times, it is also pretty easy to forget and you have to switch to tower mode to see where they taxi on the taxiway, because there is no taxiway map yet…