Tampa Approach (ATC controllers)

Kudos to @Carson and his excellent service on Tampa Approach. There were many aircraft that he had to take care of, some of them landed successfully and some didn’t even make it to the runway.

Just a quick message to ATC controllers: When on Tampa Approach, or any approach where the runways lead to the edge of the region, try to vector aircraft parallel to both runways and try not to vector them so far out of the region. (This only applies to runways 19R/L). I witnessed many aircraft losing speed and stalling due to being outside of the region and, unfortunately, crashing. This almost happened to me so I had to change my heading immediately in order to maintain speed.

Can ATC controllers not vector aircraft so far from the ILS triangle, instead, try vectoring them closer to the triangle?

Thanks for understanding my concern.

11 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

Don’t misunderstand me. I’m not saying his controlling is bad, I’m saying that controllers shouldn’t vector pilots so far out of the region. In the real world, approach controllers vector them parallel to the runway all the way to the base of the ILS triangle (~15nm)

1 Like

If you “hit the wall” on the boundary, do a 180. It’s really that simple. You can’t get in trouble for doing that in those circumstances.
I mean you would be changing course out of necessity, not being a rogue or disobedience!

I’m sorry for everyone that died from me vectoring you out of the region. I was under the impression the region limits were extended farther for the approach. Completely my fault. My sincere apologies.

11 Likes

No worries! I’m not trying to expose you or make any bad complaints about your controlling, I just want ATC controllers to vector aircraft a different way when the airport is on the edge of the region.

2 Likes

1 Like

In the real world you have Center and also pilots not inbound at over 500 kts 40-50 out .

5 Likes

1 Like

I think I was one of the few survivors.

1 Like

Oh please, most people survived.

I’m sure they did

In a sarcastic tone!

Not when you stall all 12000 fpm in the ocean they’re not

Well the border should be extended more. Yell at Tyler.

2 Likes

I find it’s easier to vector perpendicular rather than parallel.

If you vector parallel, you have to turn at least 150 degrees for interception. Whereas if you vector perpendicular, you only have to turn 60 degrees for interception.

I know it’s easier, but in real life, approach controllers vector aircraft parallel or perpendicular depending on which direction the pilot is coming from. This is probably why the use of STARS would be helpful to ATC

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.