Taking your dog to the vet in style

A man landed his private helicopter in a Mt. Juliet parking lot Thursday morning. Police tell News4 the pilot was taking his dog to the vet due to a “medical emergency.”

The man landed in the parking lot of the Goodwill off Providence Pkwy just before 10:00 a.m. He took his dog to a nearby vet.

Mt. Juliet Police responded to the scene. They notified the FAA, who is investigating the incident. It is unclear if any charges have been filed at this time.

Police say the man flew the helicopter back home. His dog is okay.

Original story

15 Likes

That’s the most important part of the whole story.

20 Likes

What are the rules for whare you can land a helicopter? Like if I have a big backyard is that game? Or do I have to get it approved or something?

1 Like

If it’s private property you can land on your property, now public spots you need permission to land.

1 Like

They’re involved

1 Like

Whoops, didn’t see that! Thanks for the feedback! 😛

2 Likes

So if I have a big backyard I can just land a helicopter? That’s pretty awesome…

2 Likes

One of our pilots owns a huge piece of land just north of Anchorage, last winter they had shut the highway down and divert traffic due to a truck hitting the bridge, instead of driving she took the Bell 212 home and would fly it into town to avoid traffic. Let me see if I can find a picture

5 Likes

Well instead of being a fixed wing pilot I’d rather be a helicopter pilot 😂

1 Like

@KPIT Couldn’t find any of the 212 but here’s one we took last summer

6 Likes

From the FAR/AIM:

§ 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

(a)Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

(b)Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

©Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to anyperson, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

(d)Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface -

(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or © of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA; and

(2) A powered parachute or weight-shift-control aircraft may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph © of this section.

[Doc. No. 18334, 54 FR 34294, Aug. 18, 1989, as amended by Amdt. 91-311, 75 FR 5223, Feb. 1, 2010]

And here’s how helicopters can land on roads and property legally (with permission of course with out breaking FAR)

1 Like

Yep, it’s really a question about if he endangered anyone or if he tresspassed (like if the pet hospital didn’t want him to do that).

Not the first time I’ve seen someone take their helicopter to run an errand. Found this guy a few years ago. He ran inside to get Panda Express, and left with his order. I think its kinda cool. I’d land and do stuff like this.

6 Likes

Sure if there was a crowded parking lot, now tresspassing it depends on property I think the Feds will probably drop it

1 Like

I’m getting a paramotor for this very reason. I could literally fly to school.

Well, sure that’s one way to get takeout and avoid traffic. But, it’s got to be more expensive than driving, right? Definitely a cooler entrance.

It’s about 300$ + more then driving with the 44.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.