Taking the SR22 Across The Pond

Hello all, just stopping by to let everyone know that I have just completed the second leg of my journey flying across the Atlantic in the SR22 snd I am enjoying it a lot. While its nothing like the challenge of taking on this task in the real world its still very satisfying take a small plane places people don’t commonly think of them going. I picked up the routing from a website link (which will be pasted below) that was posted by @Maxmustang some time ago and the site offers specific routes for different types of aircraft which is very comes in handy. I almost feel like I’m cheating sometimes using this aircraft with it being so fast able to get so high but I think the capabilities suite me since I don’t want this to take too much time from my life. I’ll be keeping you all updated on how the trip goes through this thread. I don’t know when I’ll finish it since I still have four more legs but I am fully committed to finishing! Thanks for reading and I hope this influences some of you to fly a small plane across an ocean!

http://220kts.com/ferry-flights/atlantic-ferry-routes.html

My Route: kbgr - cyyr - cyfb - bgsf - bgkk - bieg - egpc

20 Likes

Wish you the best of luck on the remaining legs!

2 Likes

Absolutely doing this

2 Likes

It’s fun and there’s actually some great scenery up around Newfoundland.

Awesome. I’ll be looking forward too it

The SR22 across the ponds, i know a couple of nutters who do this IRL XD

2 Likes

@Chad_Garnett. MaxSez: You Da Man Chad. Hope other follow your lead. Instead of endlessly sucking thru the air aimlessly, screw thru it with a mission and a sense of adventure and accomplishment. See the IF World up close and personal in a GA. Anybody can drive a Trash Hauler on autopilot.
Only the few have the mind set and skill to follow the Av- pioneers Trail into the unknown… “Well Done” Chad…!

IMG_1517

6 Likes

UPDATE: I have just finish the third leg of my journey to cross the northern Atlantic! The 488nm flight from Iqaluit, Nunavut, Canada to kangerlussuaq Greenland took Two hours and thirty-two minutes. This was about 37 minutes longer than what I had originally planned. I burned 216 pounds of the 285 pounds of fuel I loaded for the flight leaving me with around 68llbs with my fuel burning at a rate of about 77/79 llbs/hour. Wasn’t a very scenic flight as most of it was spend over the ocean and then the bland terrain of Greenland. Nothing else special to report. My next leg will be BGSF-BGKK about 340nm which will be my shortest flight of this journey. I hope to get it done as soon as possible and as long as the weather up there holds up!

4 Likes

what altitudes did you find to work best for you?

1 Like

Hard to say as each flight is different. The gts has a service ceiling of like 25,000 ft but I believe on the last flight I got up to 15,000. Don’t remember what my ground and air speeds were but as I said I burned about 77 pounds of fuel per hour which was what I think I thought I was gonna get or maybe a little better. Just play around with it. You can get pretty good endurance out of it.

Edit: And to add onto this I want to say that depending on where you are flying you’ll want to find the max elevation along the route so you don’t fly into a mountain (I cannot be held liable if you do now lol .

1 Like

awesome thank you!!!

Time for another leg! BGSF-BGKK in the SR22. Taking off shortly and expecting decent weather along the way!

1 Like

Sorry for the delay everyone I just finished BGSF-BGKK leg of the journey (a few months later than intended)! Unfortunately life limited the time I could spend flying but it’s all good. Finished the leg last night and it was pretty uneventful. I’ll be breaking the BGKK-BIEG leg in two to hopefully catch IFATC later this week! I’m also even more excited because I’ll get to see the new 15m scenery. I’ll post when I’m about to set off for the next leg! Not too much further to go!

3 Likes

It’s really a nice tour to do. If you’re interested I took the cirrus around the world. Here’s a nice FPL you could use. (It’s designed to be in 24 parts for Christmas)

I’m happy other people are interested in such challenges. It really takes time to correctly decide the best route and altitude and climb rate depending on the weather.

Have fun!

(These are just the straight routes for each airport. It’s not considering wind ir anything)

4 Likes

Started mine two days ago! Started in Astúrias, Spain, then France, England, Scotland. Now heading Iceland BIRK!

2 Likes

65kts crosswind 90 degrees! Dist. remain 409nm, ETE 1:44!

1 Like

I’ve done a couple weeks ago a trip in a C208 from Johannesburg (south Africa) to middle Europe.

Did take me around 30hours. But I did not took the shortest route. I did fly first to Angola —>São Tomé et Príncipe —> Timbuktu—> Caranry Island (i did some island hopping there) —> Gibraltar —> somewhere in France—> to my final destination in Germany.

3 Likes

Great to see people putting these birds to work!

4 Likes

@Chad_Garnett. MaxSez: Been out of the loop on hiatus for a period. Missed your GA circumnavigation completion. Well Done, a real IF First of Record in awile. Pleased to see others are following your lead. Repro this token, copy to your IF Flight Bad/Log;

IMG_1518
IF GA CIRCUMNAVIGATION 2018

3 Likes

Currently on the top of the world, Siberia, heading to Alaska (stop for the wekend, family home).

2 Likes