Taking my dad flying in Southern California

This past Saturday, on my dads birthday, I decided to rent a plane and take him flying around Southern California.

We went to the place where we had rent the plane which is Orange County Flight Center (OCFC). When we first got there the METAR showed VFR but looking outside it did not seem VFR. So I went into the lobby area and used one of the computers to view more weather sources (I had also done research prior) and it seemed like only the SoCal area was bad but all the other airports that we were going to seemed to have good visibility. Finally I saw it finally get sunny to the point were I was comfortable. So we went out preflighted, taxied out and took off.

as we were climbing it was cloudy at 3000’ and the METAR showed Scattered clouds but it did not seem cloudy. I was trying to figure out how to get above the clouds because there were small patches of blue skies but nothing seemed to be big enough for me. At this point I was wishing I had my instrument rating, not cause I was in a dangerous spot but I could have been on an IFR flight plan and go right through the clouds. I finally saw a big enough patch where I could circle to climb. Which as I was clircling and climbing ATC gave me a heading for traffic which I took but very shortly after told me to resume own navigation and by that time I was clear of clouds.

(I do not know why it seems like we are super close to the clouds)

We got passed the clouds and flight went as planned we flew near KONT and near KSBD. and we got super close to the mountains and got to see the snow on the mountains on the left side of the plane. Which was an amazing sight. And the right side of the plane there was mountains and they were mostly covered by clouds.

After we got through the mountains I tuned into the ATIS for Victorville and the METAR read

KVCV 131745Z 27012G24KT 10SM SKC A3020

Which that was a descent crosswind (landing runway was 21) near my max crosswind limits for landing. and we landed overall my landing was smooth and definitely greased it for a crosswind landing. after we landed we went to million air parking and walked and looked at the planes for a bit refueled and took off again for Bakersfield.

As we took off I made a North departure so my dad could get more photos of the planes there were Delta 777s SWA 737 MAX aircraft (not pictured) and my personal favorite was looking out into the graveyard with grounded/retired planes.

After that we had turned around going in a South Direction as I was expecting to remain outside of the restricted airspace that is near Edwards Air Force Base But as soon as I got in contact with Joshua approach they said “Cleared through the R-2515 restricted airspace at or above 7000” I was extremely happy because I knew I would be able to fly near Edwards Air Force Base. Which has super long runways in the sand (unfortunately you cant see those runways)

And we flew over Mojave air and Space airport (KMHV) which I do not know much about but I did see retired airplanes there as well which I thought was cool. We followed a road towards KBFL and there was mountains around us which we got alot of turbulence. and one occasion my dad and I had hit our heads on the ceiling but that was the worse of it.

shortly after we had landed in Bakersfield. I flew the ILS. Now everything was still visual but because it was not that busy I tuned the ILS frequency in and briefed the approach for practice. had a nice landing in Bakersfield. we had plans on stopping but we wanted to get home so I taxiied to the runup did a quick run through of the run up checklist and we were off again.
The flight home was nice followed a freeway home which isnt that hard to do lol. my favorite part on this leg was the fact that we went through LAX Bravo airspace. We took the coastal route going home and here is a picture of LAX international.

and we flew over Huntington Beach Pier, and then entered a left downwind for landing at KSNA and landed. Overall it was alot of fun flying with my dad and he had a blast flying with me. Here is the foreflight tack log of the flights.

Notes
The pictures with the red dot in the upper right corner my dad took. If you want more photos PM me please I would have loved to share more but unfortunately there is a limit.

Hope everyone enjoyed. and my editing skills arent the best

72 Likes

This is extremely cool! I hope you and your father had a fantastic trip. May he have a healthy year and more to come!

That grounded El Al 787-9 makes me sad. So does the other 100+ grounded aircraft. :(

3 Likes

I’m wishing your dad a happy birthday! I remember me and my dad / FI attempting to fly through the restricted airspace last year in March, t hey had an active TFR in the area though not allowing us through and we flew to Barstow-Daggett instead 😂 Looks like a fun adventure!

2 Likes

I think that’s a 787-8

Also this is really cool! I’ve been to VCV and Mohave before and it was really interesting!

1 Like

@anon74260613 shall approve

Hmm. Must be my 12:51 am eyes. Oops.

This is embarrassing. 😂

1 Like

Ha ha😂 That is 4X-ERD which is the Last El al 787 that has been sitting in VCV ever since it was built😭

1 Like

Flying that LA special flight rules route through the bravo airspace must’ve been a thrill! It’s not every day you get to fly over one of the busiest airports in the US.

Thanks for sharing your adventure

I assume you are talking about the one where you do not Talk to ATC?

Ah, I assumed that was the route you did? I kinda skimmed through the topic so I might’ve missed something. Did you fly a different route?

Amazing pictures 😍

This is awesome! Looks like it was very fun! Happy Birthday to your Dad aswell!

Before, and after they hit their heads-

Looks like you had so much fun! Great views! Notice how there are only twin jets at KLAX TBIT though, rip.

Nice shots!

1 Like

Great photos!!

1 Like

Yes unfortunately. And the only quad jets that seems to be returning is 747-8 and A380

@Moosehead08 to go through the bravo we took the coastal route

2 Likes

@TylerShah Do you have any photos of the Qantas a380s at KVCV?

This is the reason I love aviation! What a great birthday gift!

And an expensive one too😂😞

1 Like