Takeoff VS

Hey guys! I wanted to ask you guys a question. What is your initial VS as soon as you rotate to about 500-1000 ft? I usually go straight to 2500fpm as soon as I rotate, but it docent seem right because I look back at the runway and I seem like I am just way too high for not even being past the runway’s end.

2 Likes

I slowly move up to 15 degrees, and at my climb speed of 170-185kts, I usually get 2200-3100FPM on my takeoff climb. 2200FPM at 200+kts though will reproduce what you’re eluding to.

1 Like

There really isn’t a set VS. It varies by your weight, aircraft, elevation, n1, etc. I do whatever keeps me at my v2 speed until its time to start cleaning up the aircraft and I am past 1,500 AGL.

4 Likes

It depends on your aircraft type and weight. I’ll do VS 1600-2600 range.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer you guys!

1 Like

There’s no set VS, it depends on aircraft type, for example the 752 climb rate is much higher then other aircraft. Also the weight can be a factor. For me you judge it on what feels comfortable, there’s no set answer the balance is between what is comfortable to do and also the most effective and efficient.

2 Likes

I go up to 15* and stay there. Depends how heavy the plane is

1 Like

This explains how takeoff V/S is related to thrust and speed. The thrust primarily determines your V/S

2 Likes

Thank you, @Rob_M !!

1 Like