Takeoff Thrust

When i took off from Sao Paulo (SBGR) in a 787 yesterday, i used 70% thrust, which i thought would be enough for a takeoff. But as i started to get to the end of the runway without leaving the ground, i had to quickly increase my throttle to 90%, and even that was just enough to get a gradual increase in speed.

I noticed the airport is 2,500ft in the sky and wondered if that had anything to do with this… Any suggestions/tips?

2 Likes

What was your weight and N1?

2 Likes

Elevation does play a good part in how speed increases. Aircraft struggle more and more the higher you are on the ground.

3 Likes

N1 was 88% and weight was 230 tonnes

1 Like

When im very heavy i go TOGA/ full thrust to prevent an overrun and/or stall after takeoff

3 Likes

I thought that had something to with it…

2 Likes

Ill consider that next time then, thanks!

1 Like

What was your flaps setting?

1 Like

5 degrees.

1 Like

Always remember that you should aim for 92-96% N1 during takeoff. In the 787, that is normally around 80% throttle. Always adjust with terrain, weight, etc.

2 Likes

I usually use 80% trust when taking off in the 787

96 is a bit too much. That’s the TOGA setting. Must be really heavy to use that.

1 Like

Try 15 degrees when you’re in a hot and high take off condition.

3 Likes

Thankyou! Ill consider this next time i use heavier aircraft.

I would recommend checking out this topic; helped me a lot. :]

1 Like

Awesome, thanks

1 Like

Check out this website for more accurate V speeds.
https://www.infinitefmc.com/

1 Like

Rotation speeds (V1 etc.) are usually dependent on weight and engine power, however other factors such as weather and terrain may influence takeoff/landing speeds.

1 Like

Just had a look at this… its brilliant but doesn’t cover most aircraft :/

Be careful with those power settings, many are inaccurate