Takeoff Thrust Real Life and In-game

Hi all,

So I was wondering if in real life aviation wise do planes go on full thrust while speeding down the runway or do they put thrust on around 90% and then put full thrust when they are off the runway? As that is what I do in IF, put the plane thrust on around 90% and then put full thrust when I am off the runway. If I’m doing it wrong or anything please correct me.

Thank you for your help!

2 Likes

jet airliners may use less than full power but enough power for a safe takeoff. This is known as “flex” thrust, or “assumed temperature”. Boeing aircraft have a system which reduces takeoff thrust by a certain percentage. … In this case is the answer no, unless you take off from a very short runway.

3 Likes

Planes very rarely use full throttle for take off, usually 80-90% depending on various factors. Usually once in the air this is actually reduced further as the airspeed normally has to remain below 200 kts until a certain distance from the airport.

5 Likes

Hmm, now I get it. Thanks for your help! Though may I also ask if there is a certain method of calculating this? Like if it is needed to go on full thrust or not?

Thanks!

1 Like

Okie doke, thanks in advice!

I think it depends on whatever airline you’re flying for. 100% throttle would probably be used in the case of a heavy plane on a short runway (not completely sure)

Okay then, in this case now that I have a clue I’ll look more into it.

Thanks for your help!

2 Likes

87% is always my go to. Usually always enough. If you’re approaching the end of the runway and don’t think you’ll have enough power, firewall those puppies!

2 Likes

Thrust is dependent of various factors such as load factor, altitude, temperature, dew point, and runway length. You will need to use full take off power if you are heavy and departing from a high altitude airport like KDEN, SEQM, or airports that are low but really hot like OMDB, or OMAA. For the hot airports the reason isnt just air density but decreased engine performance in hot temperatures

3 Likes

Airlines rarely use full power. Though every month or so they are required to record a full thrust takeoff. Smaller aircraft such as the 172 use full power everytime. Hope that helps

2 Likes

Also, when flying to a high Altitude airport, you must use all the thrust you have.

1 Like

Check out this topic, it has some great information and advice about takeoff thrust in airliners:

1 Like

…due to the low air density

1 Like

Thanks all for your help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.