Takeoff Procedures

If I am requesting to takeoff and remain in the pattern, does that mean (for example, if there are any others, please let me know) I am intending to do touch and goes? Or say for some odd reason I am flying from JFK to LGA/in any congested airspace? Do I request to remain in the pattern? The second situation is just an, ‘I don’t know,’ because I have way too many people requesting to ‘remain in the pattern’ but end up not requesting a Touch and Go. And, again, I know there’s not going to be a perfect solution besides maybe more practice—other than training server—or at least some awareness with a message such as, “Please check guide for [ground, takeoff/departure, landing/arrival, etc.] procedures, thank you.”

Tip 1: dont ask for pattern work at a busy airport or a class bravo airspace. If you want to do pattern work, stick to GA planes and municipal, smaller airports. Pattern work just adds unecessary traffic and work for ATC. Please do your patterns separate from the croud

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. That’s exactly what I try to do and I kind of hope that when I saw make [right/left] traffic then they might understand what the command means, I just don’t know how to communicate that this isn’t the correct procedure. I will, also, say that I PROBABLY have way too many near misses when I control KJFK whether that’s my fault or a rogue pilot. Though, again, still my fault because I generally allow pattern work because I either know I’m going to be disregarded or I was looking to get my landings up.

Remaining in the pattern is for pattern work.

Flying from JFK to LGA is the same as flying LAX to LHR. You would use the same logic when requesting and correct direction of departure.

Don’t be afraid to read the User Guide.

2 Likes

You can always ask for patternwork, just make sure the ATIS allows it. The ATC always has the choice to allow patternwork or not. If you want to do patternwork at JFK or an airfield, you can (unless the ATIS says it’s not allowed)

1 Like

On the ES on a non-busy session I will send the pilot a message on the IFC and remind them.

Like I said, respectfully, I understand that I’m just trying to find any other reason someone who may not entirely know what, ‘remain in the pattern,’ means. Thank you for your time, as well!

My point is allowed or not it causes unecessary work for the controller and 100/100 times ive had someone do patterns i get cut off and they never know how to maintain speed

Definitely! Thank you! Yeah, even when I fly on ES, I avoid remaining in the pattern and don’t even request as much in TS anymore.

You can come on by and do some patternwork if you want!

Currently on at KAUS

2 Likes

What I see happens is someone will request to stay in the pattern and then the next couple of Pilots will do the same not understanding the procedure. Most pilots fly not pattern work.

I appreciate it! I might do just that! Thanks, again!

Am I misreading all this?: I was under the impression the op is not clear on what “pattern work” means. In other words, that it means your intention to return to the runway for full stop or touch and goes.

1 Like

If a controller deems the load is too high to continue providing high quality service for aircraft (that are doing patternwork) they can always change their ATIS to not allow patternwork. If the controller thinks that he/she can manage the aircraft in the pattern it is allowed. No matter the amount of aircraft.

1 Like

The User Guide obtains all information that has been asked.

2 Likes

I know exactly what pattern work means. I am trying to bring up a point and find any and all reasons that some people in TS are not using the ‘Remain in the Pattern’ request correctly.

2 Likes

Hi!
Remaining in the pattern shows the pilot intention to do pattern work. To depart, no matter the destination is how far, They Must ask for departing North South East or west.
For more Information follow the Link Below:

3 Likes

And unlike the many pilots I encounter each and every day when controlling I read that and watched videos on the YouTube channel, ESPECIALLY before I was able to fly in ES.

1 Like

Most people in the TS are still training/learning. This is why it’s called the training server. It is understandable that some people might not know what it means(I even come across people who don’t know in the ES). You should try to fullfill the demands of the aircraft, even though they may not understand you. I know it can be frustrating sometimes, but it sadly is how it is and everyone has to learn some way!.

1 Like

Fortunately, I was afraid of messing up and I understood that the aviation field is based on procedures. So, I took it upon myself to read and watch to learn. Thank you so much for your time!

1 Like