Takeoff power

What is the problem with applying 100% power at takeoff?

In real life, it causes the engines to wear, requiring them to have maintenance more often. Not really an issue in IF but it greatly decreases ®ealism.

There are different thrust N1 percentages, it varies from aircraft to aircraft. Usually, you can see a good N1% to use in Marks aircraft tutorials, linked here:

(The spitfire tutorial is just the first tutorial in the playlist, cant get a link to just the playlist)
I hope this answered your question!

7 Likes

Adding to what @Dylan_Bright said, generally for airliners, you won’t want to go above 90% N1.

You’ll also take off like a rocket and be above 250kts in a matter of seconds

Violation territory = not good 🙂

10 Likes

I use 70-85MAX.
this allows for aslower rotation which alllows me to control the VS of the aircraft while maintaining a realistic climb rate.

2 Likes

@Sammy_Droubi What flap settings do you use? Because I often find I almost run out of runway space when I go anywhere below 80-85…

I use that thrust for narrrow bodies, flaps at the second or third settings, all depending on weight, of course.

All of this and if there is a crosswind then you could get blown off the runway.

Nah, just use the rudder properly and you’ll be fine 🙂

4 Likes

I always use 80-90% thrust for commercial aircraft. It’s more realistic and will help get in the air smoother instead of shooting into the air like a rocket. I highly don’t recommend taking off full throttle unless you absolutely have too (rarely happens).

2 Likes

I still blew off the runway lol :) maybe poor reaction timing.

2 Likes

Have you ever tried taking off in a Cessna 172 before? :D (any weather condition)
I don’t think most people have, but it might be good practice for people if they want to practice using their rudder.
The way it’s set up makes it veer left dramatically during take-off.

4 Likes

You are going way too fast. A good rotate speed is 160-170 knots. Anything faster than that will cause you to get blown off the runway. Rudder movement will barely help at these speeds.

Oh I know that now, just had this one incident lol

2 Likes

Not to mention the additional fuel burn if using 100%. Airlines usually have a policy in which they prohibit going to 100 unless the circumstance calls for it.

2 Likes

TO/GA (full power) should only be used when conditions call for it, as well as when the runway is wet, beside that, takeoffs are usually de-rated, which is a set power calculated for the specific temperature/runway lenght/weight/altitude/flaps setting. Although its very hard to calculte this for infinite flight, I’ve tried to get an estimate for each aircraft, which sometimes can be a bit too much or sometimes not enough.

1 Like

Not nesscarily all of the time
Some airports have short runways which require some planes to Put some extra juice into it ex95-101 N1

80-90 is practical to me

Btw flaps should be 5-15 depending on load
(1-2(Airbus)

On the A320 I use 75-89% depending on runway conditions ect.

a lot plays role in it. runway length, load.
keep it this way.
shorter the runway more the power.
the more heavy you are the more power.

yeah same lmao… then I set it the thrust back to climb depending on aircraft weight/altitude… usually around 73-83% initial climb thrust

2 Likes