Take-offs and landings at LAX

Recently I have decided to start getting my operations to become an IFATC. I have been doing ATC at LAX and I just want to know why so many people want to land on runway 25R. I get that the runway is longer but 25L is wider and you don’t need the entire runway to stop. A lot of people will ask 3-4 times for a runway change to 25R and because I like to have planes take off 25R and 24L (like how it is done most the time at LAX) 25R is congested with planes waiting to take off it is hard for me to have to put the take offs on hold and let a plane land but sometimes they do it anyways. When I was on Training server I was terrified of getting in trouble from the ATC but many people don’t care and their often people who take off and land without permission. Anyways

7 Likes

It’s great that you’re out there controlling to get your operations up before joining the IFATC team.

A lot of people like runway 25R as it is closer to the terminal, therefore less taxi time. If you are looking to practice for IFATC, I recommend setting up an ATC Tracking Thread and staying away from the main hub’s where a lot of the training server traffic gravitates towards, such as EGLL, KLAX and KJFK.

This topic explains how to create an ATC Tracking Thread, incase you need any help:

11 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 3 hours unless flagged)

1 Like

Yes, that was stated.

7 Likes

Thank you, this was very helpful and I setting up an ATC tracking thread soon! Right now I’m thinking Ontario international (KONT) which is the closest international airport to me.

1 Like

No worries mate, glad it helped you out.

I’ll try and attend a tracking thread session of yours if I get the chance.

Stay safe mate and look after yourself!

1 Like

well @Declan_O said almost everything! if allowed i would add that some want 25r to show departing planes their (non) butter landings lol

Good Luck with your IFATC application! :)

2 Likes

Thank you. I love that you exist.

1 Like

Finally someone who knows how LAX works.

1 Like

Thank you! :)

Also when I’m controlling LAX there is the occasional person that taxis to runway 7L or 6R

2 Likes

Haha! I know right! The better part: I have only flown in/out of LAX 4 times (well before I was this into aviation) and just from reasoning I figured out you should be landing on the much wider runway.

1 Like

Yea. Also I sometimes control SFO and I get that person who taxies rwy 10 :/

1 Like

I have also barely seen anyone go 24L. Everyone just goes 25R and it gets super congested. I especially hate the people who do patterns in a big widebody plane as well.

1 Like

I have done SFO a few times, I did it today and I had about 3-5 planes taxi to rwys 10 before they figured out my system, another thing that is annoying is when approach clears them to land and you forget to check what runway they were cleared on (its not there fault 25R is the normal). Also when I start controlling LAX it takes like 10-15 min before I can get my system working so its about 20 minutes before its not congested, those are a fun 20 minutes :3

1 Like

Yea. For sfo you have small planes up to a321s takeoff 1L, 757 until 767 size go 1R, then anything bigger takeoff 28L, and all planes land 28L/28R

1 Like

I have had people doing pattern work in A380 and 747s, thats a fun time.

Just a funny story:

A few days ago I was controlling and it was super congested, I had people doing pattern work (always asking for 25R of course) and I couldn’t take it at the time so I Broadcasted the no pattern work message so they flew like 30 nm north and changed there callsign then flew back down to do a landing.

1 Like

When I control SFO (not too often) thats basically how I do it.

Also is SFO your home airport?

1 Like

😂 I mean, that’s actually pretty good lol. Better than having someone land/takeoff every 5 minutes. And no, mine is KBUR lol

1 Like

Quicker taxi time and no being forced to hold short of runway 25R before crossing. I boil it down to a bit of laziness akin to spawning at the parking spot closest to the runway threshold (minimizing taxi time).

2 Likes