Tailwind causing violations

So I was flying from MAN → EGLL this evening, during decent I had a tailwind. The game still gave me a violation. Is there a way to get these violations off my account as the weather isn’t my problem?

Hey there!

Sorry for the inconvenience. First, were you actively monitoring your descent, and was there anything you could’ve done to prevent the overspeed violation from being issued (e.g. break the descent, open the spoilers)? Level 1 violations are only reversed if it was a violation system error.

I had begun decent early due to the tailwind. After it beeped I engaged flight spoilers and set my Autopilot speed to 230kts. As that didn’t help much I extended the flaps to full.

1 Like

What altitude and speed were you going when you received the violation.

About 4,000 feet, 270kts ish slowing to 230kts

The winds shouldn’t affect your IAS. They will affect your TAS but thats not the violation is based off. A great explanation is found here:

“IAS is just a measure of how quickly the pitot tube is moving through the relative wind, without compensating for any other factors. Sure, the airplane may be moving faster or slower over the ground as the winds change, but its speed with through the air around it hasn’t changed.

The reason its preferred to land into a headwind is that we can have a lower ground speed for the same given airspeed, and less runway length is required as a result.”

So technically, there is no way you got a violation because of the wind. 🤷‍♂️

Also, all this work just for a Level 1 violation that’ll be gone in a week seems excessive to me. Just let it slide.

8 Likes

A rapid wind shift (AKA a shear) can still affect your IAS though. Going from 0 wind to an instant 20 knot headwind has the same effect as increasing your airspeed 20 knots. This is why our airspeed indicator bounces around in gusty wind conditions with constantly changing wind shifts. This effect is worse lower to the ground.

The reason why is initially your TAS doesn’t change when the wind shifts because TAS/GS is a measure of the aircraft’s momentum so something does have to change which is your IAS which is just a measure of your speed relative to the surrounding conditions. When your autothrottle corrects for the change in IAS, then you’re right: when the IAS becomes what it was prior, the TAS and subsequent GS will be the ultimate change.

I was climbing through the mid FL300s one day and a 180 knot headwind immediately sheared to less than 30-40 knots and almost made me stall. It was almost impossible to climb through that shear point without accepting some sort of airspeed loss and the reverse effect occurs for a decrease in tailwind/increase in headwind.

2 Likes

Yes, you have a valid point, but I was assuming he was talking about a consistent tailwind, and if he wasn’t, it’s still his responsibility, and not a bug, that it was windy.

3 Likes

This is well above the limit of 250kts below 10000ft which suggests you weren’t paying attention to your speed while descending.

Here’s the issue. Nothing to do with the wind.
Below 10,000ft aircraft must be below 250kts unless told otherwise by ATC.

1 Like

Wow, I’m a pilot and I had no idea weather wasn’t my problem. Someone should have told me that years ago, would have made my job a lot easier! 😬

4 Likes

Not entirely true, he could have trouble slowing down as the descent slope could have been too steep at those speeds.

Didn’t you know?
That’s basically the first thing they taught us in ground School.

“Don’t worry about the weather as it is not your problem to deal with”

3 Likes

But you take wind into consideration. You can’t just sit there with your arms crossed and say “not my fault it was so windy”.

Going 270kts at 4000 Feet is a little much to blame the wind.
There are plenty of options he could’ve done to bleed the airspeed.

And if all fails, just level off at 11000 feet until you’re at the airspeed you’d like.

1 Like

and that’s winds’ fault…?

1 Like

Oh, absolutely ;)

1 Like

To help counteract this, no matter what the winds are I always use flight spoilers for descent. I highly recommend this to you!

Could be a factor, the route is based on fixed points while the aircraft has to deal with winds pushing it forward faster over the ground than it can descend. In which case you should really be doing an extra loop.

I think I was too high for my descent so I went steeper, I forgot the flight spoilers which could’ve been the issue.

What you say about TAS is not correct. TAS is relative to the wind you are moving through. It is affected by wind gusts the same as IAS. TAS is where IAS comes from. If the gusts become a steady wind, only GS is affected by the wind.