Tailstrike protection system

Available on the 777-300ER and A340-600 (and maybe the 787 and 737-900 and MAX), the system activates when it senses the aircraft is close to touching the runway with its empennage. After detecting that, it hydraulically moves the elevators to force a nose-down pitch on the aircraft, avoiding the tail-strike.
http://www.boeing.com/news/frontiers/archive/2004/december/i_tt.html

Comment below what do you think of this.

21 Likes

Nice, but unneeded if the pilots did their job well.

3 Likes

Winds and wind gusts can make an aircraft tailstrike, even if you have excellent pilots.

7 Likes

I was joking but my awful sense of humor never seems to strike people well.

8 Likes

Definitely needed on the 737-800 and 900!

4 Likes

Interesting idea at least. And yes I need this. If I would have to pay 1Euro/Dollar per tailstrike I would have at least 1 million dollars/euros debt.

1 Like

Especially on the -900. I feel I’d tailstrike it all the time if I buy it.

4 Likes

They key is rotating at the right moment with the right amount of trim too. It helps to have a soft takeoff.

1 Like

I was kidding a little bit, but I need some takeoff practise. Lets get back on topic.

1 Like

You struck that joke right on the head…

1 Like

You might want to reword that.

Never knew this was available.It would be great to add it to the system

1 Like

If anyone would need this it would be on the a340-600.

It seems it has it in real life. So I added it to the description.

1 Like

If you look closely, the 767 has a flap coming out of the empennage. Also I wish they added the block on the empennage of the 737.

1 Like

The 737-800 has a tailstrike protection, you can see it when taking off.

Is it only on the 800? It looks like a brick.

700 to 900 I think. The 767 has one too @Narroc_Wim.

That would be very helpful with the A340 series (especially -300) being pretty slow to takeoff because of its weight and the underpowered (but safety compliant) engines

2 Likes

This is a good idea because it prevents pilot error and wind conditions causing a tail strike

2 Likes