T-6 Texan trainer crashes on busy LA highway

Surprised this hasn’t been posted. A T-6 Texan, part of the condor squadron based out of Van Nuys airport, crashed on the 101 near Calabasas. It was repainted in a luftwaffe theme. The pilot is okay, but the plane, well, see for yourself…

6 Likes

It’s so sad see the T6, but IFC is cutting back on aviation incidents that’s probably why you didn’t see it posted

3 Likes

The photo looks photoshopped. Can you find a source?

1 Like

@BobbyRobert can confirm it’s a real accident it was a T6 pained as a German aircraft

2 Likes

If anyone wants to view the incident off of the news

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.foxnews.com/us/world-war-ii-era-plane-crashes-on-101-freeway-near-los-angeles.amp&ved=2ahUKEwjSgKi1pZ7eAhWzPH0KHUWCCXUQqUMwAXoECAYQCQ&usg=AOvVaw3ephkVrbxUAlV6ko3b-EoB&ampcf=1

1 Like

Its real. Here’s video proof.

5 Likes

image image

These don’t look too accurate, especially with a truck driving behind a flaming aircraft. I might just be tired though.

2 Likes

I posted one above

Yep they shared, the PIC walked away but what a rough landing, there’s video of it landing before crashing

1 Like

Something weird about seeing a T6 TEXAN in Luftwaffe markings.

Glad everyone walked away though

2 Likes

Odd for sure, it use to be an airshow aircraft too =(

2 Likes

Think this is good to go since a moderator already commented and didn’t close the post ;)

1 Like

Ah Taught so because I just saw Deer’s post. Thanks.

1 Like

All good! Lol I think the mods appreciate people tying help =)

1 Like

Of course. I just found this one kinda personal as I see this aircraft all the time, and have been inside it on the ground. It’s a small part of my local airport’s history too (probably should’ve added that in the main post)

Folks. There’s a reason one topic remains open while the other does not. Eye witness pictures and video regarding the situation is much more interesting than reading a news article through a pasted link. While we can’t let every single aircraft incident be posted, some have the ability to draw a greater discussion than others due to the surrounding situation.

I was mentioning this to another community member last night. Why is it that we’re seeing aircraft landing on California highways recently? What’s causing this increase? Poor maintenance? Aging aircraft? Poor/missed preflight on the pilot’s part? This is the second aircraft to have landed on a California highway in less than 4 days. These are the types of discussions that you guys should consider rather than looking at this topic as “just another plane crash”. Hope this provides a little insight. 🛫

3 Likes

I’m curious see the prelimary report from NTSB on this one. Been an interesting few days for California Aviation in general

1 Like

Sure has. In the San Fernando valley, they recently switched the approach/ departure for Burbank Aiport, and that’s caused some controversy too. Exciting!

Whats the reason?

1 Like

“The purpose of the updates is to keep Burbank Runway 15 departures better separated from LAX arrivals to the south and from aircraft that are arriving to Burbank’s Runway 8.” Coming from the La times.