T-38 Talon

I saw the other feature request was closed, idk why it closed after 90 days.
Ever since seeing these guys do touch and goes, I’ve wanted to fly one of these! It just looks so sleek and balanced.

Crew: two: student and instructor
Length: 46 ft 4.5 in (14.14 m)
Wingspan: 25 ft 3 in (7.7 m)
Height: 12 ft 10.5 in (3.92 m)
Wing area: 170 ft² (15.79 m²)
Empty weight: 7,200 lb (3,270 kg)
Loaded weight: 11,820 lb (5,360 kg)
Max. takeoff weight: 12,093 lb (5,485 kg)
Powerplant: 2 × General Electric J85-5A (J85-5R after PMP modification) afterburning turbojets
Dry thrust: 2,050 lb (9.1 kN) each
Thrust with afterburner: 2,900 lbf[61] (12.9 kN) each

Performance

Maximum speed: Mach 1.3 (858 mph, 1,381 km/h)
Range: 1,140 mi (1,835 km)
Service ceiling: 50,000 ft (15,240 m)
Rate of climb: 33,600 ft/min[62] (170.7 m/s) ()
Wing loading: 69.53 lb/ft² (339.4 kg/m²)
Thrust/weight: 0.65

I could see IFAE-GAF using this to train their new pilots up;)

5 Likes

Just why I was thinking. Either this or something similar like a Hawk. I think IF could do with a fast jet trainer like this. It would fill the gap between the GA aircraft and the fighters.

2 Likes

Isn’t that the jet they did used in Armageddon (movie) to let them feel G-forces,…?

Man…seeing these gives me a sense of nostalgia. I used to see these all over the base. Would love to see and fly one of these again.

Cast a it’s for it! Hopefully it will be easier to implement than most other fighters here.

This would be awesome to have. According to some, if you can fly the 38, you can fly any fighter jet.

Seeing these fly down from Vance to Tinker was always awesome. Id love to see a fast jet trainer in IF. Sad to see this retire soon though I hear good things about its successor the T-50A.

2 Likes

Hopefully it doesn’t have the same oxygen issues that the Navy had with their T45

T38C’s out of Randolph AFB, TX

USN variant

Of course the Retro Thunder Bird livery. Absolutely would love to see this trainer brought in.

Credits for photos: http://www.airliners.net

2 Likes

We need this NOW!!! Lol. It just looks like a perfect flying machine! So sleek and beautiful. It makes me want to do barrel roll after barrel roll.

1 Like

Lol I think that was the “vomit comet” they used. That would be NASA’s KC135A.

2 Likes

It was for sure a two seater jet!

I’ll take my licks on this one lol. You’re right it was the T38 lol. Sometimes its good not to know everything lol then we can learn more 😂. Cheers!

3 Likes

Interesting choice in aircraft I must say.

1 Like

I’m still making sure this wasn’t closed. Even after two years.

Yeah I would love to see it!