Sydney Airport Runway Run

Every year at Sydney Kingsford Smith International Airport (YSSY), hundreds of people get together to do something that every AvGeeks has ever wanted; doing a running race, on a runway. There are four races;

• Kids 100 Metre Dash Yes, that’s a Q400 Reference
  • 500 Metre Seriously Fun Run
  • 1km Competitive Run
  • Relay Race (Teams of Four)

All proceeds go to Cure Cancer Australia

Source:

If this was at your local airport, would you do it?

• Yes
  • No
  • Maybe

0 voters

2 Likes

I want to do it. Anyone got free tickets to Australia for me? I’m kidding but yeah that’s a great idea but the cost to the airport must be huge. Having to close a runway for probably a day will be expensive

1 Like

Sounds fun, but this will never happen for me haha (It will never be at my local airport - EGLL xD).

2 Likes

Yeah. Last year they used Runway 25/07 which crosses over with 16R/35L so they technically have to close two and just use 16L/34R. In my opinion it would have been better to have the run on Rwy 16L/34R as it is isolated from the others.

Maybe when the new runway is built. Glasgow did a run on a new motorway to open it. EGLL may do the same

3 Likes

We have way too much traffic for these runs and stuff lol

2 Likes

I do Cross Country (5ks) so this would be right up my alley. So yes, I would do it. Probably the 1k.

1 Like

They have the same thing, or at least something similar at KPIT, I was going to do it, but we were out of town…

1 Like

I would do it, but it’d involve exercise 😄

1 Like

I would surely love to run the whole length of my local airports runway except for the fact that it’s the longest runway in the carribean measuring 11,000ft in length. I’d try it for a smaller runway but my local airports runway would be wayyy to long.

1 Like

No thanks, I already get enough pain in gym.

1 Like

Sounds awesome! Wish EWR did something like that - I would definitely participate!

1 Like

I remember o’hare had something like that a few years ago when they opened 10R/28L it was super fun!

1 Like

Wish there was one at YMML. Maybe I should make one…

time to run a mile and a halfs worth of runway in san diego. yeah, ill probably make it to the treshold and then im good.

1 Like

doesn’t Atlanta have a 5K on their runways too? Definitely something I’d love to do.

1 Like

It seems there’s a Toronto one too;
https://www.torontopearson.com/runwayrun/

This doesn’t interrupt the flow of aircraft?

I’d imagine it would in some way, but I guess it’s not enough that it’s a problem for the airport (or more specifically, their profits).

I am running my 26 th runway Saturday at DEC Decatur, Illinois Airport, then Cape Canaveral in Nov. just google airport code and something like 5 k runway run 2018 to find other runway runs…Inverness Scotland, Cork Ireland, Luton UK, Budapest, Gdansk, HNL military base runway, PHL, PIT, CMH, JFK, MDW, TUS, TUL, ATL, CLT, and maybe ORD next year …
-Runway Junkie USA

1 Like