Swearing On The Job As A Pilot?

Like I said above, I wouldn’t swear when talking to ATC. I will happily follow their instructions as they guide me in and out of airports and in and out of gates and runways. I will remain professional in that.

Now, let’s say my fellow pilotalso a friend and I are in the cockpit and our airplane is cruising at FL360. Unless there is something going on, you are basically doing nothing. Now, we get bored and decide to have a casual conversation with each other, talking about life, school, history, inspirations, games, and whatnot. Now, can we swear in those situations and is it allowed by the FAA? That is my question. I could care less about the opinions on here as they are irrelevant.

1 Like

The only time you would be caught using that foul language would be on the black box, and that’s only taken out during an accident. I’m sure they could forgive you for swearing at the autothrottle for stalling you.

You’re literally asking for opinions. There is no fact that will back up if it’s okay or not.

no the faa will ground you for swearing a couple times 😤🙄🙄🙄

drew (kpgd)

1 Like

No regs in the FAR/AIM that are against it (Someone can fact check me). Therefore, everything is gonna be opinions.

N1RG

1 Like

Nope, I am asking for facts. I want to swear in the cockpit with my pilot friend in the future during a casual conversation but idk exactly if that would be allowed.

That is why I made this thread in the first place.

Yahhh. Swearing would be in the company policy handbook for each airline

(KLIT)

2 Likes

Again, this is a time and place thing. It is highly unprofessional to use certain language over an ATC frequency, any Comm frequency, job interviews, baptisms, little league baseball games, ect. It’s all a time and place. As an adult, you’re afforded the privilege and option of choosing how you want to speak in any situation. In many situations, being foul mouthed is totally fine. In others, like in a sensitive setting or even in this forum, it is not. Having that privelidge means choosing those moments precisely, and dealing with the consequences if you don’t.

To go back to the topic of the forum, yes you can curse as a pilot, in the cockpit or anywhere else if you so desire. Time and place and setting matter

Dubya (KHND)

4 Likes

I totally agree with this! 100%!! It’s lazy and and it has no class! And it’s very unprofessional

1 Like

this is the winning post right here

drew (kpgd)

2 Likes

Say it louder for the people in the back @BigBert10

N1RG (KLIT)

5 Likes

Okay that statement I can get behind. I don’t mind people swearing to me but the situation disctates the demand for language. Well said @Dubya

Robert (insert random airport code)

3 Likes

Looks like @Dubya finally gave me the answer I was looking for. So it looks like the answer to my question is “Yes, you can swear with your colleague in a casual conversation at FL360 when nothing is basically going on, but there are times when you cannot swear like talking to ATC or ramp agents. It is just how the situation is, whether it is casual like with your pilot colleague in a casual conversation or professional, like with ATC.”

Am I correct, @Dubya?

Still a pretty opinionated answer… some people will say dont cuss at all (the older older generation) no matter the time setting but that is more of today’s setting regarding cussing.

N1RG (KLIT)

2 Likes

Exactly. Opinions are inescapable when dealing with something as poignant as swearing. Depending on the generation you ask you’ll get a different answer. All about diversity right?

Robert (insert random airport code)

2 Likes

Mostly.

Regarding the cursing with the ramp agent part, you would treat it like any interaction. If I don’t know someone, I dramatically reduce my cursing, until I feel them out and see if they’d be okay with it. If they don’t care, I let loose. I work in Mormon country and many of my customers are Mormon, so when they’re around, I don’t curse out of respect. Similar to if a child is around. Time and place.
If I am friends with the tamper and we’re cool, I’ll throw some explitives out. If it’s my first time meeting them, or we don’t have the kind of work/friend relationship, I speak without the curse worlds.
Time and place

It be in a company policy. But why would cuss if your doing something professional expecially a pilot. There’s time and things for everything and I know all my Pilot buddies cuss but in the cockpit or around ramp agents or pax ehh I’m not sure
N1DG
(KLIT)

2 Likes

Ok, switching up the answer a bit.

“FAA allows you to swear in a casual conversation with your pilot colleague and friend but in a professional situation like talking with ATC or someone you don’t really know, don’t swear until you feel them a bit.”

@Dubya, @N1DG, @N1RG

It has nothing to do with the FAA

1 Like

The FAA says nothing about swearing on the flight deck!! These rules would be found in Thr company SOP or company policy.
That’s your best answer
N1DG
(KADF)