Surprise order for 747-8

Boeing announced a surprise $1.5B order for the 747-8! Boeing hasn’t disclosed who purchased the planes (most likely VIP/BBJ). I find it fantastic considering 747 sales are on a slump, potentially threatening the overall program.

14 Likes

There making a comeback :) Thats made my day

4 Likes

I don’t think Boeing will ramp production back up for this order as they were preparing for the end of the B747 mainly due to cargo operators not making any more orders

1 Like

Unless you’re the CEO of those airlines and companies, theres no way of saying.

1 Like

Do you think they will be freighters or passenger aircraft? Imagine if BA ordered some to replace the B747-400 the dream will never cease to exist

1 Like

After hearing about the Alaska and virgin deal last earlier… I have a feeling the customer is Southwest. Jk

2 Likes

It would be interesting, but Im guessing they will be expensive.

As much as it pains me to say, many airlines are making a swift switch to Airbus. They invest a lot more in fuel conservation and efficiency compared to Boeing. Which, considering the growing deficit of oil, is a smart move.

1 Like

Well the both the 777 and 787 are fuel efficient as well. They’re making the shift away from quad-jet. It’ll be the end of the 747 and the A380, and the dawn of the 777/787 and the A350/A330neo.

Don’t forget the 320!

1 Like

Yeah the A320neo and the 737MAX!

Essentially, quad engines came about because each single engine wasn’t reliable and fuel efficient. As technology advanced engines became reliable (less failures), they’re far more powerful, and use less fuel. Who knows, maybe one day we’ll see a revamped 747 but with 2 massive GE engines producing the work of 4 engines hahaha

Has Boeing made enough profit with the 747-8 so as to cover their production cost?

1 Like

Dang the impossible happened

1 Like

I’m just hoping some other operator buys a -8I. I don’t want to see these go extinct for another 10 years.

1 Like

This. Is. Awesome. I love the news. But this whole hype for a “comeback” isn’t really gonna happen I think, if it does, great, if not, I wouldn’t be suprised. 4 engine planes are kind of a thing of the past.

2 Likes

I can sense the feeling coming. - More awesome liveries.

1 Like

The only way these planes are currently successful are due to airlines like Emirates they themselves are powerful enough in this market to possibly persuade Airbus to make a A380neo as they will buy a lot of them. The A380 was very successful in the sense that many airlines don’t want such big planes.

1 Like

Definitely. But to be honest, the A380 MAY die out in a few years. Emirates is kinda their only hope, I guess.

2 Likes

The 747-8 has the advantage of having a cargo variant, something that Airbus didn´t plan with the A380, so Boeing has the edge there.