Superfluous ATC Commands

In almost every ATC session, my fellow controllers and I encounter some of the most painful messages. You may be wondering what those are – maybe people who call in at 1000 knts? Or maybe people who switch to ground after being told to hold short of a runway and stay on tower? You will be happy to know that it is neither of these, but these messages seem to increase in frequency almost every time I open. These three sets of messages seem to be a part of some handbook which I can’t access , because almost every pilot sends them and many times in the wrong scenario.

Altitude Requests
Starting off with radar, in most cases, on the expert server, there is no need for you to request descent. IFATC will usually have their eye on you throughout your approach and are probably keeping you at your present altitude to avoid a potential conflict whether it be with terrain or other aircraft. Once you are clear of the conflict, I assure you, you will be allowed to descend.

If you absolutely need to request an altitude (you shouldn’t), please know the terrain of the area before doing so. The other day at Las Vegas, I had many people request descent to 3000 ft, which obviously would lead to a crash and burn into a hill.

It is a fairly common procedure to take arrivals over the airport, so do not panic if you are vectored over an airport at 6000 ft, we have not forgotten about you, I promise.

Note: Altitude Requests explained under one sub heading of the post.

Check in
Another pet peeve of mine and other controllers is almost every pilots’ tendency to check in with the radar frequency, and then request a different service. Using check in is fine if you’re using it as an equivalent to flight following, but just saying it to let the controller know you’re there is not helpful – we’d much prefer you simply request the service in question, saving both you, and the controller time and clicks.

Request Departure
Moving on to the tower frequency, you already state the direction of your departure when you request takeoff clearance. Soon after you lift off, you will receive “Frequency change approved” from the controller. From this point, there really isn’t any need for you to make contact with the controller. When you get cleared for takeoff, your departure direction is automatically approved, so there isn’t any reason to request it again.

Why it matters
Some of you may be wondering why any of this matters, it’s just one extra command, right? However, when it is busy and there are 30+ planes inbound or a long takeoff queue, an extra command for each plane takes a large toll on efficiency. Needing to zoom out and find each plane twice does take a lot of time for the controller, slowing down airport operations.

I sincerely do hope that people learn from this post and that I won’t see this as much on the server. While I do know not everyone will see it, all it takes is one person at a time to figure this pretty simple stuff out and apply it for everyone to have a more efficient and positive experience on the expert server.

58 Likes

Just want to give this a wee little bump, I was controlling today and many people made some of these errors :)

2 Likes

Just something I’ve wondered about. If you have a SID (or FPL) that flies in a direction that isn’t straight, and ATIS says straight out departures only, is it right to request a straight out departure when asking for clearance then change it (request departure to the ____) once airborne and still on Tower? If not, and there is no approach/departure controller, how should I go about flying my departure, or at least requesting it, as to annoy/distract the controller as little as possible?

Hey @Cameron_Stone
Definitely not. If Straight Out Depatures is in the ATIS then do just that even if it means going against your flight plan or SID. Requesting a straight out departure then requesting a departure to the North, South, East or West would not make the controller happy.

1 Like

Straight out departures means to put some distance between you and the field on upwind, deconflict with any other traffic behind or next to you, then proceed.

Look at a SID for a place like KATL when 26s are in use and you’re traveling to, say KBOS. You can still depart east, just not the second you lift off the ground.

They depart straight out for a bit so as not to just bolt across the flight path of the parallel runways, then they begin their turn.

You don’t have to request a second departure. Just don’t hit turn immediately after you can slip a sheet of paper between your gear and the runway.

4 Likes

Ah okay got it. Thanks guys!

Every pilot on IF Live should read this!!! It has all the information you need to know about ATC commands so you wont get ghosted! Please take 15 minutes of your time to read this, its worth it.

1 Like

I’ve probably asked this a million times, but I’d rather ask a bunch and not screw up.

When I say “check in” and the controller responds with “roger” or “radar contact”, this is the same as “request flight followings to ____” and them replying “proceed on course”

Am I correct with this statement, or am I just really confused?

10.13 The Use of Check In
10.13.1 The Check In feature serves two primary functions in Infinite Flight

• Requesting Flight Following from the FIRST radar controller the pilot contacts when they have an acceptable flight plan (see 10.10 above)
  • Advising a radar controller that they are on your frequency AFTER BEING
    SWITCHED by a pervious radar controller

Continue reading here.

3 Likes

Just because I still see this very very frequently on the ES when controlling…

A little louder for those in the back… don’t check in and then request another service. It really does simply clog up the frequency and isnt really helpful to you or the controller.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.