Summer Spotting Ending With Amazing Evening Light | Munich, July 29, 2020

Welcome back boys and girls (if there are any),

just like every week I’m about to supply you with your dose of Bavarian aviation pics. This wednesday, I went out to the airport for a little birthday party and, as a side effect, a lot of involuntary sunbathing.

Since it was bound to be a long day, I only arrived at the airport at around 11 am since I knew the only real special-ish movement of the day (even though a rather regular movement here after all) was scheduled to land at 11:15. It eventually was 11:45 when M-IABU arrived from Olbia. Fun fact: The registration actually represents the initals of the owner Alischer Burchanowitsch Usmanow (or better known as Bourkhan, just like the plane says)

After that landing, I changed my position to the rotation spot where I later photobombed @German_Pilot’s shots from the parking deck. One of the first departures was Air Malta’s A320neo promoting their return from the COVID break with a “We’re back!” sticker.

Another special sticker that’s based at Munich and always nice to look at, especially after its repainting into new colors, is D-AILU or short “LU” which also is the name of the Lufthansa mascot who’s accompanied by Cosmo who’s sliding down the plane’s tail.

Usually, a departing Lufthansa 350 wouldn’t be at such a high altitude at the place we were standing. Well, I have to admit that this isn’t a departure. The plane had gone around seconds before which was looking really spectacular on the pics of a good friend of mine who was spotting from the southern spotter hill at the touchdown zone at the same time.

A lot of air traffic could be seen in front of our tower, when this bizjet wearing a sticker of the Roling Stones tongue departed in front of a bird gliding past the ATC tower.

Afterwards, I spent the time at the spotting hill and mainly watched the traffic there since nothing extraordinary was on the schedule, so at this point it’s a fast forward to the evening, when some somewhat interesting planes arrived. The first one was an airline who just returned to Munich: Air Europa. That day, they brought one of their Embraers with a “Uruguay” sticker in the back.

While the light for the Embraer wasn’t the best, it got better for the next few arrivals I spotted from below on short final another hour later. Turns out even a Dash 8 looks stunning when you get the right light…

Slightly bigger and with some nice engine light as well came Qatar’s regular “preighter” 777 from Doha.

This plane should be very well known by Inifite Flight users. Just not in this livery. Before being transferred to Eurowings, D-AIZR was operated by Lufthansa and in that role, it’s the plane featuring the Lufthansa livery in IF. Today, it’s wearing a worse livery (from the perspective of quite a few Munich football fans (talking about that football you actually play using your feet)) but in good light, it still looks rather nice.

The last arrival of the day from Pristina brought a classic in front of my lens: Air Mediterranean’s Boeing 737-400 also arrived in amazing evening light.

Thanks for visiting this topic! I hope you liked it! See you for the next topic ;)

My Equipment:

Canon EOS 80D
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS II USM (99% of pics)
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4.0 L IS II USM (for wide angle pics)

Backup / Old Lenses

Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (for the 1% of the cases where I needed a wide angle lens, replaced by the 24-105 now)
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS STM (for the majority of my very old pics, bascially completely replaced by the 100-400 now)

You can follow me on twitter and Instagram to get more shots on a daily basis. Also, keep your eyes open on Flightradar24 where you might see some of my recent shots.

Twitter

https://twitter.com/mba_muc

Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/mba_muc/

My spotting topics on the IFC (sorted by years since this is slowly getting endless)

Spring Spotting 1
Spring Spotting 2 with Lorenzo
Spring Spotting 3 (feat. Hekla Aurora)
August spotting with some sunrise shots
September 30 with quite some special liveries and bizjets
Spotting in Zurich on the way to Cosford
Spotting Laura and more in Birmingham
Spotting in fog with a sunny end

Special planes at Munich - Munich Security Conference feat. E-4B
Valentine’s Spotting 2019 - Civil Traffic around the Munich Security Conference
Retro Time - British Airways BEA A319
First weekend in Innsbruck - Charter Flights in the Alps
Second Innsbruck Spotting Weekend
Bringing Israeli soldiers to Munich - El Al 747
Another visit of ElAl’s queen - El Al 747
Spotting in the Morning Sun - South African Special Livery A340-300
A full day of Spotting
London Calling - Spotting at MUC and LCY on the way to London
London Heathrow Evening Spotting Before the Meetup
London Heathrow Meetup Spotting
Last Day at Heathrow: Landor, Negus and more
Government Jets and New Perspectives at Munich Airport
One Day Spotting Trip to Frankfurt Airport
Spotting Trip to Berlin
A lot of Specials at Munich
Quick after work spotting for a private A340
Another Sunny Spotting Day in Fall
Spotting with a Female closer than 5 miles, so definitely click even though she’s in none of the Pics!!!
Day and Night Shots at Munich
Deicing and more
Condor’s new colors and a big chopper
Stunning Condensations and a Royal 747
Azimuth Superjet and more for the last topic in a decade

Birthday Spotting
The Final EXPO A380
Special Cargos in the Evening
Zurich’s Airline Traffic during the WEF Week
Air Force One Ramp Tour
Air Force One Arriving in Zurich
Heavy Contrasts for Air Malta’s Retro Jet
First Two Days of SiKo - Kuwait A340, Russia Il96
Amazing Security Conference Perspectives feat. Kuwait’s A340 and more
Etihad’s Choose China Livery
Security Conference Final
Trying A New Position for Condor‘s and United‘s New Liveries
Last Specials Prior to the Corona Break
First Spotting Trip After the Corona Restrictions With Some Cargo Specials
50 Years Special Livery on a Rescue Helicopter
Spotting AN-22 in Leipzig
Spotting the Last Departing A340s of Lufthansa
First Visit of Qatar’s OneWorld A350-1000
AN124 and Other Specials in Munich
Spotting in Frankfurt With Several Specials
Early Morning Cargo Movements
Government Flights at Munich
Military & Special Spotting at Ingolstadt and Neuburg AFB
DC3, Hekla Aurora and an EXPO livery at Munich
The First Visit of an Airbus Beluga XL

Honorable mentions, TLDRs and Reminders

TL;DR service for @dush19: Actually, I can’t be bothered to continue this any longer but: Planes, Planes, Planes.
@MrMrMan: Look, something new to quote again!
@Marc you’re welcome 😉
@Nathan time to visit this place again
@Balloonchaser since you will come here anyway…
@JulianB just want to be sure you don’t miss it

49 Likes

First! Oh my these are AMAZING <3

3 Likes

I love the BVB livery! Not my preferred team but oh well lol

1 Like

Beautiful Photos!

1 Like

I have the feeling that this might become an annoying new tradition hahaha

1 Like

Hehehe :)

My view haha

1 Like

Now that was a late but necessary recovery here haha

probably also not as spectacular as the view she got 👀

2 Likes

FunFact: I was eating my toast and then I heard windy sounds haha. I immediately turned on my camera and took those last minute shots :)

Dann kam so ein Flughafenmitarbeiter aufs Dach und sagt einfach: Immer diese Spotter :) . Ich: bruh

1 Like

We were actually watching the landing from the distance hoping that it would roll til the exit behind us but then we saw them pulling up again wondering why they went around. Apparently they ended up too high on short final and decided to have another try.

1 Like

I gotta come to Munich, oh my god

1 Like

May I mention that this was kinda the most boring traffic I’ve seen in a while 😅

At least you don’t spot at one of the busiest airports in the world with traffic being dominated by 84% American

At least you have more than 182 weekly departures

1 Like

True, it’s (normally) one of the busiest with 90% Lufthansa lol

Amazing ! Did you see the Dassault Falcon 8x landing ?

I’m sure we were close to or even below that in the worst weeks ^^

Splendid photos, Moritz!

1 Like

No way lol

Our low was like 65. Fun times

1 Like

Uhm, probably. I don’t remember every single movement anymore but since I spent the entire time at the runway I’m sure I didn’t miss it (only if it happened while i was driving between the spots)

Let me have a quick look into our numbers haha