[Summary] No smoking sign

This will be my first summary of some of the Infinite Flight airplane systems.

In this summary, we will be discussing the No smoking sign. This function can be found on commercial aircrafts ONLY.

Overview

The No smoking button activates and deactivates the No smoking sign inside the cabin. This button will be found in the SYSTEMS tab, to the right of your screen. If your airplane is a commercial plane, such as a CRJ 200, this button will appear there. If your airplane is otherwise or a very small commercial plane, such as a Cessna 208 Caravan, the no smoking button will not appear there, as it is a small aircraft.

Operation

Operation of the no smoking sign is extremely simple. Tap or click on the button and it will toggle the sign. Once it’s tapped, if inside the HUD or cockpit view, you will hear the generic “ping” of the airplane. If the button has an ORANGE OUTLINE around it, that means the sign is on. If the button has NO ORANGE OUTLINE around it, the sign is off.

Appropriate operation times

The no smoking sign should be on at all times, including taxi, take off, and landing. However, when passing through 10,000 ft when ascending or descending, turn the sign OFF then immediately turn it back ON. This is a real world aviation procedure to notify passengers that the plane has passed through 10,000 ft.

We hope this information was helpful!

15 Likes

Nice Info! Will take the 10,000ft on&off thing into account.

2 Likes

Very nice info, and some things I certainty didn’t know

2 Likes

Exact usage of the “chime” switch varies by operator as far as how and when it’s used and what it’s supposed to communicate to the cabin crew at various stages of the flight. It also doubles as a memory device for the flight deck since it doesn’t do anything except make the “ding” noise.

Generally speaking (again, operator specific) the pilots will flip the switch to off when the cabin crew have reported the cabin is secure for pushback, then back to on at some point during taxi when the cabin crew report cabin is ready for departure. They’ll then flip it off when they want to signal to the cabin crew that they can leave their seats. If for some reason no signal is given, they’ll be released when the seatbelt signs turn off. Then they’ll flip it on again when the cabin is ready for landing.

Well ok, if the switch doesn’t do anything other than make a noise, how is it useful for the flight deck? Notifications, as far as if the cabin is secure for whatever stage of flight, can come at any time. Rather than getting to a cabin notification item on a checklist and having to recall if you did receive cabin secured from the cabin crew, you can look up and see what the no smoking switch is toggled to and check it verse where it should be. For example, in my scenario above, if you’re on the before takeoff checklist and the switch is off, then you know you have not received word that the cabin is ready for departure.

There’s this other topic here on IFC where other users describe different usage of the no smoking sign switch, as well as some automated chimes on some Airbus aircraft it seems if you fancy a read.

8 Likes

i thought No Smoking Sign should always turn on? it shouldn’t be turn off. The only sign that can be turn off is the seatbelt sign.

2 Likes

It’s turned off and back on to notify cabin crew of certain things (depending on the operator)

Really, it’s not needed on planes period because no one smokes on planes anymore 😂

2 Likes

I knew how to turn signs on and off, I was talking about uses

1 Like

You turn it on and that’s it

Basically, yup

1 Like

Did you even read the topic?

He was most likely referring to the part where you turn it on and off at 10000ft (which I don’t believe is common knowledge). 99% of people that play IF probably know how to turn it on/off.

4 Likes

That’s what I was referring to

Pilots turn the signs to Auto Mode instead of ON or OFF which both sign blink at 10,000ft.

The no smoking sign in the cabin is always on when the aircraft is powered and cannot be turned off. Thus, the no smoking switch does nothing but make the noise still. Planes still have the switch since you can’t make too many changes to the aircraft otherwise a new type rating is required. So manufacturers just leave the switch there and most operators have adopted it for simple communication with the cabin crew via the ding and as a memory device, as I mention in an earlier post here.

1 Like

Thanks for the information!

1 Like

i thought they communication with the phone?

I have seen the no smoking sign replaced by a no mobile phone sign. Can’t remember exact details but it was probably either UK domestic flight or possibly UK to Ireland. Most likely in an easyjet A319or aer lingus ATR I think.

2 Likes

There is a phone (I believe), for some communication, but the sign would be used to communicate simple messages.

In airplanes, you can use your small devices as long as they are in airplane mode and connected to the wifi. Large devices must be stowed during taxi, take off and landing.

For anything not simple, yes. Otherwise, the ding or entering a code into the keypad will suffice which is a lot more efficient for the routine things.

Just like I thought, thanks for confirming that Aquila

1 Like