[Summary] Flaps

Ok, so flaps are one of the most important things on an airplane.

Overview

Flaps are on almost every single airplane in the world. Flaps help slow your speed and descent along with giving you the a boost in climb. They are located at the back of the main wings and fold down. Some flaps go down farther than others.

Operation

In your interface, you will see a button called FLAPS. You operate the flaps by holding down the button, then swiping up or down to select a flaps position. If your flaps button says “0” or “UP”, that means your flaps are fully up. The flaps selection usually says some positions that the flaps can be in, sorted by the degrees symbol o no symbol at all. However, some aircraft have them listed by “stages”, meaning they have numbers listed in numerical order like 1, 2, 3, 4 and F. The “F” mean FULL. However, some aircraft have even more limited selection, for example the TBM-930 has only 3 options: UP, TO(Take off) and LDG (Landing).

Appropriate operation times

From what i have been told from my uncle, the flaps should be at 5 degrees, stage 1 or TO from spawning until l at 2000 ft above the airport’s elevation. For landing, flaps should be at 30 degrees, stage 3 or LDG at 3000 ft of your destination airport’s elevation. Once you touch down, flaps should be full. However i have been told that flaps depend on airspeed. It is your choice which procedure to use. Here is a quote from a Boeing 737 flap post:

14 Likes

Nice topic! Hopefully this helps more people on how to use flaps correctly!

1 Like

Very helpful! I just bookmarked this. I will definitely use this as a reference all the time. Thanks for making this!

2 Likes

Yeah! Nice post! Always had doubts about which was the correct speed to deploy flaps so that they didnt get damaged…thanks for the info!

1 Like