Suggestions on how could possibly visit the flight deck on a real-world commercial flight

Hi community members. I know this is not an infinite flight directly related question, but I realized there are a lot of real-world commercial pilots as well as aviation fans here so I am trying to see if I could get any ideas from here before I call the customer service of the airline. I am going to travel with Delta on a B757-200 in the near future. I am an aviation fan and I also got my private pilot license (PPL) last fall. It will be my first time boarding on a B757 and I am really hoping that I may visit the flight deck if the crew member allows. However, I know there must be strict regulations and policies for the visit of the flight deck, especially during this pandemic. So I am wondering if anyone had similar experiences or any ideas that may give me some suggestions on what I could do in advance to make that happen. Like any applications that I need to do through the company before the take-off date?
Thank you a lot for your help.

3 Likes

As your exiting the aircraft, ask the crew if you can see the cockpit.

Hope this helps :)

1 Like

Just ask one of the cabin crew or something - from my experience most of the time they will let you.

1 Like

While I’m not a pilot I suspect asking earlier, perhaps while you board, or asking a flight attendant to pass on the request during a meal service or something if you could see the flight deck at the end of the flight would up your odds. Just from a time management perspective I at least personally always find it easier to accommodate something if I know about it in advance, obviously during boarding is a fairly busy time where you are unlikely to see the cockpit, and in flight is never going to happen unless your pilots have a deep disregard for federal regulations, but at least then you know your answer earlier as well. Given that I doubt a 757 will be making a super expeditious turn around you probably have a good shot at it, but don’t be pushy, ask nicely, and take the answer in stride whatever it is. From what I have heard in the past they would almost always let people up there is they asked and there was time, but I’m unsure if any Covid protocols would get in the way of this now, that is probably your biggest hurdle.

2 Likes

Just like bennyboy said, ask one of the cabin crew during cruise. Mention you are interested in aviation and that you would like to visit the flight deck and meet the captain. Just make sure that the cabin crew isn’t too busy so that they don’t forget to ask. Nine times out of ten the captain will be more than happy to let you visit.

1 Like

I’m in New Zealand so might be a bit different, but if I know the flight is running early and they have a longer turnaround I always ask the flight attendant at meal time if I could have a chat to the pilots after we’ve landed. I also mention that I’m a trainee pilot. They’ve only ever said no once, and that was when the flight was running late.

Edit: sorry that wasn’t meant to be a direct reply XD

1 Like

It really depends on the pilots, If they have a tight turn around they might not allow you, but if they have time, they will let you (most likely) But you never know if you dont ask. But with Covid 19 social distancing still in effect in many parts of the world its hit and miss i say.

1 Like

I’ve visited the flight deck during Covid, so the answer is most likely yes, even if it was before the lifting of restrictions (Jan 2021). So yeah, just politely ask the crew, mention that you are passionate about aviation and my advice is, do it when leaving the plane as the pilots do not have to worry so much (though not completely) about delays.

1 Like

I would say ask politely at the end of the flight or something, though I managed to visit the flight deck of a BA A319 by just staring into the cockpit, and the cabin crew just asked me if I would like to visit the cockpit and I went along with it. So that works too i guess

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.