Suggestion: IFATC should prioritize jet STARs

In this week’s FNF, for KEWR, the selected STAR routes were: PENNS2, RUUTH1 and SHAFF7. However, PENNS2 and RUUTH1 are both for prop aircraft, and how many Q400s do we ever see at FNF? PENNS2 has the same routing as the jet counter part, but RUUTH1 does not so that can ruin the realism.

Similar problem at CYYZ: VERKO9 and DUVOS3 are for props.

Can IFATC and event planners please do the research with charts to check that the procedures selected are not for props only so this kind of issue does not occur? Ideally both prop and jet STARs should be open, but if not open jet STAR first, please…

2 Likes

I don’t think IFATC really cares about realism. Their job is to keep the sky safe, regardless of how it’s done in real life.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say that that’s 100% true. We try to maintain some sense of realism but it’s not always possible. It’s most likely that if it is easy and beneficial to maintain realism. We will. It’s just that because of the amount of traffic that we get at airports that couldn’t handle that traffic it’s pretty hard to maintain it 100% of the time. 🙃

5 Likes

@HarryH1 @Sashaz55 The problem is, there is both a prop and a jet STAR from the same direction. IFATC should choose jet STAR over prop STAR in that case.

It’s just that because of the amount of traffic that we get at airports that couldn’t handle that traffic it’s pretty hard to maintain it 100% of the time.

How does choosing a jet STAR over a prop STAR impact how ATC handles traffic? It’s just a different designation for a similar route.

The controllers are using the FNF established STAR procedures, they are just following what they’ve been told to do.

5 Likes

Before we start placing blame on specific people, the IFATC controllers have nothing to do with this. The IF staff team (primarily Misha) creates the FNF routes. If you are sincerely interested, perhaps you could send him a PM on the reasons he chose the prop ones over the jet ones. I suggest you be respectful (as you have been) when sending this as it is a mere curiosity question.

The IFATC are just following what they were being told to do.

2 Likes

Well said! I fully agree with that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.