Suggested Airports for Pattern Work

Suggested Airports for Pattern Work

Often times I find myself with five or ten minutes of free time between meetings, when I’m waiting to pick up the kids somewhere, or doing something else simply killing time. Not enough time to do a short haul, but enough time to go check out some random airports and do some pattern work.

What I want to ask the community is: When you have a few moments to spare, where do you like to do pattern work?

Here is a link to a map of airports submitted in this thread. I will keep up with the thread as I am able…:(updated 1/2/18) http://j.mp/2l9BgHd

Personally, I like to look for airports with the following characteristics:

• May not be well known.
  • Has scenic or unique terrain around it, but terrain which allows for pattern work (beach, mountains/landmarks in the distance, etc…).
  • Has a good layout for pattern work for most planes. If not most, then a specific kind (GA, heavies, etc…).

The first example of an airport I’d like to share where I find myself doing pattern work often is…

ICAO: PWAK
Name: Wake Island Airfield
Why?:

• It’s located In the middle of the ocean. Feels like you are landing on water.
  • I’ve never seen another pilot there and have rarely seen another pilot within range. Don’t really need to worry about ending up on the ‘Humorous Live Photos’ thread if I’m trying something new.
  • Nice, long single runway.
  • You can spawn right next to the hold/short at runway 10, making for a very quick taxi. This helps if I want to make it a very quick session.

Pictures:

I’d like to know where you like to do pattern work, and why? Please include ICAO, name, location, why you like to do patterns there and pictures (if able) in response.

Maybe I (and others) will check out one of your preferred places next time we have some time to kill…

Ryan

33 Likes

First off, congrats on the Regular status!
Secondly, I do pattern work on TS1 at Lukla, because Lukla is the new KNUC!

But for real, I use KHPN because of the two runway positions and no ATC there ever!

6 Likes

I like using KEWR. Very long runways, and since it has two you can get double the landings! Not very nice scenery though. ;)

2 Likes

KLAX TS1. Who doesn’t love it?

11 Likes

KSNA | It is in the middle of a urban area surrounded by homes and the beach to the west. Has bueatiful approach from the mountains into KSNA. There is usually no one there but myself so you won’t get too distracted!

4 Likes

I use PHNL for getting my landings up, as 08L and 26L are just the perfect distance apart for an E170 to make a 180 turn and land. Usually I can do up to three landings a minute.

6 Likes

I use KPBI 10R or 28L depending on winds. I have a “routine” that I do everytime with precision. If everything is exact, it’ll take around a minute and 30 seconds to do 1 landing.

1 Like

I like to do patternwork at KLGB because there are so many runways and it’s got a really bright and beatific atmosphere to it.

It’s also a good place to grind landings or XP because there are multiple parrallel runways.

4 Likes

PADK. It’s pretty much the best XP gainer I met so far (A lot of crosswind increases your XP upon landing). The downside, for a lot of times I’ve met it, it was complete IFR and it was quite hard to land or fly in the pattern itself with all that wind.

4 Likes

Nearly forgot, it’s really fun flying between Papa Westray and Westray. Once there were 40kt winds (which I don’t know if it’s a regular occurrence) and it made for real fun trying to land my C208. I got 700XP for a couple landings.

3 Likes

Well, if you like the middle of the Pacific Ocean, may I suggest PCIS? It’s actually been abandoned but you can still land a C-130 there.

2 Likes

I used to go to KSAN often to do patterns in the 208. GA parking is pretty close to the runway and it’s also fun to practice your ILS approaches there.

1 Like

I don’t really have a specific airport that I do my patterns at. One thing that I base the airport I do patterns at are the winds. I always choose airports that have winds being reported at a minimum of 30kts. I’m always up for the added challenge plus if you can land a Cessna 208 in 30kt winds, landing an airliner is cakewalk.

6 Likes

If I am in the mood for pattern work, I usually do it where there is ATC and not too much traffic in the airspace.

1 Like

Try SVMI, great mountain view to do patterns.

1 Like

I’m going to check some of these out…especially the ones I am not familiar with, and report back.

😳 Welp PWAK is no longer a secret @Grizpac

3 Likes

Nine times out of ten, if there is a small muni or county airport near you, I would do pattern work there.

i do patterns at WSSS lol, perfect for tight turns on to the runway lol

1 Like

I’ll arrange the scenic tour, event @Levet. We can fly from the middle of nowhere to the middle of nowhere, together…

1 Like