Suddenly stall while climbing

I have a flight from New York to Hong Kong last night, I planned to try flying at 41000ft. However, while I start climbing at 36000ft to 41000ft with 250VS, it suddenly stall after decrease in speed.

1 Like

You were probably too heavy. You cant just go straight to 41k, you need to step climb.

2 Likes

Yes I did. At first I climb to 30000ft, then 34000, then 36000, then 39000, then 41000.

As mentioned above, weight plays a big factor.

May I know what your V/S and airspeed was? Those two could also be factors

When you always do a long haul never start off at your final crushing altitude

He clearly stated that he step climbed…

@Notbad08123
How long into the flight did you decide to go up to the final cruise alt in which the aircraft stalled. Also what aircraft?

About half a an hour. Is it too early? I was using A350

VS 250. Airspeed 0.85Mach

Yes, step climbing is meant to take most of the flight.

1 Like

And 41,000 is way too high for the A350. I tried to mimick LH429 CLT-MUC, and ended up crashing.

1 Like

Yes, far too early. I would wait a few hours otherwise you will end up stalling.

Thanks for ur advice, I’ll try next time
Thx

3 Likes

I cruise up at 41,000 everytime when I fly KCLT-EDDM.

1 Like

You can’t just climb in short intervals you have to wait a certain amount of time to step climb to the next altitude

You need to step climb very slowly. As you burn off fuel and thus weight, it will be easier to climb. This is why I always stay at FL270/280 for 1-3 hours on my long hauls. To burn off fuel before climbing to FL310/320. Then, after another 2-3 hours I climb to FL340-350. Depending on the aircraft, I either climb higher after a few hours or stay at FL340/350.

410 is not that high for an A350, the thing has one of the lowest wing-loads in a wide body. It’s not uncommon to see some going all the way to FL430.

@Notbad08123 check your airspeed and VS. The appropriate VS for step climbs is max 1000fpm, speed at Mach 0.83 minimum on the A350, 777, 787 and .82 on the A330,340, 767.

Let’s let the OP have a chance to reply. So far everyone is repeating the same thing in different ways.

1 Like
1 Like

New York to Hong Kong is going to take around 100T of fuel, give or take. Depending upon your aircraft type that will mean an initial flight level of probably 310 or 330 eastbound of 320/340 westbound.

As you burn fuel the aircraft becomes lighter and the critical AOA of the wing becomes more ‘forgiving’ to simplify matters. At this point you can climb, in accordance with the semi circular rules unless you are in RVSM airspace, and climb to 330/350 or 340/360 for another couple of hours. As the flight progresses, every couple of hours, you climb.

In the real world we usually reach our highest level a few hours before top of descent if it’s an ultra long range sector.

Climbing too high too quickly, especially in the game where you select a fixed V/S, will lead to you stalling as the aircraft cannot maintain the power required to achieve your select V/S in the rarified air at altitude. IRL we have a low speed warning (amber hockey stick denoting minimum maneuvering speed) and a red barbers pole (overspeed). At high altitudes these come very close together leaving you with very limited margins for events such as high level windshear and CAT.

1 Like

Guys, gals, and everything all round. You have already been instructed to let the OP reply by a moderator. Please give it a rest for now.

And… just bumped it. Not helpful.