Subjects to become a pilot

I am wondering what pilots use mathematics the most. Within a duration of a flight training.
Are geography, Meteorology and Physics also necessary to know just some basics to learn aviation smoothly?

*This post would be in real-world-aviation area. But I am basic so can someone move this there? Thx!

3 Likes

Soz, but still gotta be in TL2 to post in #real-world-aviation.

I imagine one would need a lot of math skills from algebra, geometry, trig, calculus, that stuff.

4 Likes

Adding on. Keep posting and liking and being active and you’ll get TL2 in no time:)

3 Likes

Trigonometry, that is one of the most difficult maths to learn LOL Math was one of my worst subject in school to the point where I barely passed algebra and yet I still graduate early looking back I don’t know how but glad I did. I apologize for going somewhat off topic here

1 Like

What’s TL2??

1 Like

Trust level 2

1 Like

I see!! Thank you!

1 Like

You are most welcome @anon50176895

Trig is alright.

Disclaimer: this is not off-topic but showing some of the mathematics needed as a pilot.

It’s really about how you use your math skills as a pilot.

List of basic things taught in Trig:

Cos
Sin
Tan
Vectors
Right Triangles

This is mostly about figuring out the ratios between two sides of right triangles and being able to figure out each sides’ angle measure., which if you could infer is most likely used for calculating TOD or final approach angle (but I could be wrong).

These are the most common types of triangles of trig. So here you go. If that was a really small portion of a pilot’s mindset of mathematics, then you can figure out how much math is literally needed

5 Likes

You need standard Physics and Maths and must be quite fluent in English. Some airlines may ask for a bachelor degree in any subject.
Happy Flying
Cign

3 Likes

You’ll also use math for lots of things. Off the top of your head it’s good to know some cos and sin ratios, as was mentioned above for things like TOD, but also for crosswinds. Aside from trig you’ll also just use basic math for performance calculations and navigation planning.

Meteorology will make up a part of your ground school. So it’s a good idea to have a decent understanding of it!

Depending on how you want to go about your licence. Courses in chemistry and physics may be useful!

6 Likes

To sum it up:

A lot of brain-power is required

9 Likes

Wrong term my friend;)
All of it is required

6 Likes

Actually it’s true 😂

1 Like

I love this part of math!
I am thinking that the math formula such as limit are difficult for me…

2 Likes

My math teacher told me this:

You practice math not until you get the answer, but until you have a good understanding of it

6 Likes

Such a nice quote…! I am going to try to understand math and IF!

1 Like

To become a pilot, the recommended subjects you study and do well at are:
. Maths
. Physics
. Chemistry
. English

3 Likes

Thanks! It’s really helpful!!

1 Like

In the UK you require 5 GCSEs are Grade 5 or above (Grade C) and it is recommended to have a GCSE in Physics Maths etc

Charlie

1 Like