Studying the FAA ATC Order

Hi all, I have been studying the IFATC guide, and I’m now on to the FFA’s ATC Order re procedures and phraseology.

I wondered if anyone has any recommendations/suggestions on the best way of studying this large document.

Did you mean FAA or FFA?

Apologies. I meant the FAA.

1 Like

It’s all good.

In that case, I would just recommend taking a lot of notes and reading some parts over. You will do great!

1 Like

Thank you.

1 Like

Yep! I’m always happy to help. Cheers!

1 Like

Hey!

I love doing very hard and deep research when we speak of ATC procedures. Both FAA Tools on ATC and the IFATC Manual are wide and extended documents that contains a lot of useful information but in some cases can be difficult to read.

I personally recommend first of all reading it for fun and then try to summarise the most important info. If you are planning to Apply these knowledges to a future IFATC Application process, keep in mind that some procedures may be different within Infinite Flight , so focus on the ATC Manual and make sure to check the YouTube content on ATC!

Cheers

3 Likes

You do not need to study the entire FAA 7110.65 to become IFATC, if that’s your goal, it’s just a tool you should utilize to reference along with the ATC Manual.

5 Likes

Good luck learning it on your own. When I went through Navy ATC training they had us go through different sections at different times and sometimes it didn’t even include the 7110.65.

We started with aviation weather which was taught by a Navy meteorologist (aka AG). We learned what causes some weather and how all of it tied into the 7110, such as when to get PIREPs (CVTWITVS).

Next we did airport design such as airport markings, hold short lines, ILS critical areas, airport lighting, etc.

Then we started studying Tower aka Airport Traffic Control Terminal Ch. 3. We tied that in with wooden table simulations and very simple things such as VFR pattern entries. We then took that knowledge to computer simulations for weeks.

Then we went to radar and studied GCA approaches which pretty much only the military uses then we studied basics of Arrival control. And went to the simulators again.

4 Likes

Thank you. Aviation weather does sound a really interesting topic.

If you’d like any help along the way I’d be more than happy to help.

Pay attention to every word it can change the whole paragraph. If you don’t know what something means use the terms of reference or the Pilot Controller Glossary.

Chapter 2 applies throughout the 7110. Start with that then move to tower and picture yourself as the pilot to master that as a VFR pilot. Then move to IFR and Radar. Use the FAA AIM and the FAR to learn things you don’t understand.

1 Like

That’s super helpful, thank you so much. I will definitely come back if I need any more help.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.