Studying Habits

Hello all!! I’d like to ask anyone who has any ratings/licenses in aviation, how do you go about studying? I’m 16, and I’m currently working towards my PPL. I have a hard time getting myself to study when I need to. Don’t get me wrong, I love everything that has to do with aviation…it’s just that when it comes to studying…well, I hate studying.
So basically, how do you guys go about studying? Should there be limits to how much I study on one day? Should I paste myself? Should I force myself to study even when I’m not “feeling” it?
I’m hoping to take my test right when I turn 17 (January). I’ve barely started to study, like last week or so. I’ve basically met most requirements for the actual test… (I’ve done my solo, nights,…etc). I’d love to hear how you guys approach your studying habits, as it would greatly help me!!
Thanks!✈️❤️

1 Like

There are some awesome practice tests out there that have some interesting questions that will keep your attention. A quick google search and bam - all of your needs are solved 😜

I personally can’t study from a book for an extended period of time and I need breaks in between unless I would get bored. So I look at charts and pictures to explain some things and then I check the book for some other things. Study and then take a practice test. Write down everything that you got wrong the first time and then study that stuff and then retake. Keep doing that until you know most things

1 Like

But will that satisfy all the knowledge I need when I take my written?

I would not recommend this. It’s normal for this to happen. If you study when your “not into it” it can sometimes make you feel “burnt out.” Give it time and you’ll be back into it!

Teach your friends what you’re learning!
I know that helps me a ton, when I am going after something I’ll teach my Mrs family lol

3 Likes

Thanks a lot, ya usually when I force my self to study at times I don’t want to, I generally forget what I read the following day when I’m back at it. Thanks a lot😀

1 Like

I’m sorry, what do you mean? I don’t feel I have enough knowledge to teach anyone yet.

1 Like

Sheppard Air software is a life saver. They’re very reasonable priced and proven to prepare you for your written exams. I’ve also used King School checkride prep, which I recommend as well.

Other than that, its a mater of discipline. There will be days when you don’t want to study, no matter the software or method. Ultimately, it comes down to you wanting to succeed.

2 Likes

The best example is doing an E6B. I did it to my Dispatcher Class and my mrs family and now I’m a wiz at it.

2 Likes

I’d have to check that out for sure then! I really appreciate it! Ya, i need to prioritize more important things in life. I’ll admit, I do other stuff that is either useless or not beneficial for me a lot.

1 Like

Sheppard Air is an amazing tool, make sure you memorize the Memorize section or whatever they call it.

1 Like

Two words: Sheppard Air.
Study the way they tell you

1 Like

So, is it just practice tests for the most part? Or is there like a reading section implemented into the software?

I think we all do. Its all about balance. Whether its aviation or any other subject, there is only so much you can study. Don’t burn yourself out, but also stay aggressive in obtaining the knowledge you need. It will be worth it when you have that pilot certificate in your hand

1 Like

You could try use if quizlet to test yourself.

Do everything Sheppard says, trust them they’re extremely good at what they do

Thanks a lot! I can’t thank you enough!! I’ll try to paste myself as much as possible! It’s also a bit hard because I’m juggling school/sports too.

Quizlet, at least for aviation, can be very wrong with the answers/format provided. Its best to stick to proven sources, such as Sheppard, Jeppesen, or King School.

1 Like

As someone who is using Sheppard Air right know, I can answer all the questions about it

Wow, everyone seems to be recommending it!! I’ll 100% give it a look! Thanks a lot for your feedback!!

1 Like