Struggling with crosswind take offs.

Hi all,
I am grade 3 and recently (attempted) takeoff at Tokyo Narita runway 16R. There was a significant crosswind and when pulling back my aircraft slid off the runway? I was on expert server, so I immediately left in fear of being ghosted. Any tips on how to stay on the runway? Was flying a 737-800

Using the ruder left/right might help also rotating with the right speed helps too.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip. Appreciate it

1 Like

Hey how long ago was this? I might of been your controller at @bne.spotting!

Also a good tip is to use the rudder. The rudder is your friend in a situation, and usually helps with keeping you on the runway.

Wheels up!

Declan O

1 Like

Thanks for around 1-2 hours ago

RJAA didn’t have any atc tho

Ok, no worries. Yeah just use the rudder to the best of your ability. Also make sure to rotate at the correct speed, as rotating to early will cause your plane to go sideways within the crosswind if you don’t control it properly.

1 Like

No one is going to ghost you got skidding off a runway that’s silly.

Crosswind Takeoff

• Alerions turned into the wind
  • Rudder to maintain centerline
  • Once airborne continue to use the rudder for lateral control, and the alerions to maintain above the runway.

Crosswind Landing

• Don’t use all of your available flaps a little extra speed helps.
  • Let the plane crab until you begin your flare
  • Use the rudder to de crab and align with the runway laterally
  • Use the alerions to maintain runway centerline.

The main gear on the wind side should touch down first, then the other, then the nose.

9 Likes

Crosswind landings, the simpler way I do it is.

Wind
——————>
Rudder
——————>

Wind
<——————
Rudder
<——————

Which ever direction the wind blows, you push rudder in that direction.

How much rudder you push, that calls for some experience or experimenting on solo.

Generally for me:
-5kts, alittle
-10kts, about 1/4 or half
-20kts, about 3/4 or max rudder
-above that by alittle, max rudder

Above the safe crosswind allowed, dont land. Its very layman but it might help for starters. This in general for airliners, please experiment for GAs.

6 Likes

This is the best and detailed advice you can get.

5 Likes

Also make sure you have auto-coord unchecked in settings.

@bne.spotting. MaxAsks. Dose pulling back mean Rotating? Where you useing both Rudder and “Ailerons” to compensate for drift. Rudder alone is insufficient. The windward wing should be down into the wind. This is a “Stick & Rudder” in combination situation. If correct speed V2, Flap Setting and Control surfaces where positioned correctly it’s the man not the machine. Practice makes perfect. Go immediately to “Solo” and practice with ever increasing crosswind settings, utilize both Rudder & windward Wing Down Aileron technique till you get it right.

6 Likes

f I understood correctly you are explaining the crab technique: point the nose in the direction from which came the wind. I tried this and find it a little hard, especially at the touchdown moment in which I have to correct my lateral attitude with the rudder. I searched in internet and I find another technique: the sideslip, in which you have to point the nose in the direction where the wind goes and correct your direction with the ailerons keeping the plane always centerd with the runway centerline. Is this possible in a commercial airliner?

1 Like

You can do the side slip the problem with the side slip is you loose a lot of altitude doing so. So you need to keep more power in it, and don’t get as stabilized of an approach. Either technique is acceptable, but the crab is more preferred among pilots as it’s actually easier to execute. Your leg doesn’t hurt by holding it straight that long lol.

2 Likes

I was having issues with this too. Just gave it a go, good tips thanks

1 Like

I’ve also found it’s easier to control if I keep my thumb on the rudder controls the whole time rather than touching/sliding it only when I need rudder.

2 Likes

This is what works best for me it seemed

Dude, how much is the max safe croswind (take off and landing) allowed for a heavy??

1 Like

Another tip for you - if you’re already doing this, do not use the APPR for a crosswind Landing! It usually turns more than if you were to control it manually. It does not use the rudder on Landing for you.

I dont know man, I remember learning some diagrams but thats alittle too complex for me. I just google for the crosswind and the aircraft and use whatever is given on forums or what not =p not the best but I use it as a reference.

Im not pilot so I have no idea how to go about. Maybe google will be of help to you xD

I googled for something like this

And I use it as a reference