Strobes or not?

So the aircraft fly like right over my house when they loop around to land at KPIT, and one just flew over, no big deal, but this one had some weird stuf with its strobe lights… It was an ERJ-170se for United express, we see these all the time, but this one struck me becuais here in Pittsburgh it is night time so all you could really make out was the lights, now this one had strobes (I believe…) that flashed white (Like all strobe lights), but these seemed to take a sort of pattern. I will do my best to describe it, so bare with me here… All in quick succession one would blink on the right wing tip, then the center body, then the left wingtip, the red beacon light would flash in the center, and it would repeat… I have seen a lot of aircraft lights, and none seem to follow this sort of pattern across the aircraft, or have a beacon light on the fuselage…
Is this some sort of new thing? Or do all aircraft have this and I just missed it, becuais I looked at a delta 737-800 who came in behind him, and he did not have this, and I can’t find anything on the inter webs…

1 Like

Maybes it’s just the pattern the E-170 was created with

No, I looked at videos of E170 landings, and did not see any such pattern…

1 Like

Must be my lucky day!

I caught what you are discribing at the very end of my night spotting video! Check it out :)

Skip to the 8:16 mark of the video where you will see a US Airways Express E170 depart, and what seems to have a unique strobe pattern

4 Likes

I couldn’t really tell from the video if that had the bottom light as much, but that is almost exactly what I saw…

There’s no bottom strobe light on the ERJ. The light you see in the bottom is the beacon light.

It does look very similar to what you have described.
In my video it seems to show the normal strobes, then it would go to the Left - Center - Right pattern.

I’ve only seen this once, as I never usually go spotting at night

1 Like

I have also dug a bit further, and this article had something interesting…

(Have no idea why the Mose is there?)
In the first response they mentioned that it is an add on option for many aircraft to have patterned strobes and landing lights…

It is normal for aircraft to have a beacon light on the bottom of the fuselage. Most aircraft do

1 Like

That as close as anything I have found, I may also be perceiving a larger difference since I saw it over head, thanks @Daniel_Cerritos!

1 Like

Hu… I have never seen this, maby I don’t pay enough attention to light patterns…

No problem! I saw this and thought about my video, so I thought I would share it here :)

1 Like

Since this is a SIM, look in the app at most commercial aircraft. You should set it to night, turn on the beacons, and look on the bottom ;)

1 Like

Most Commercial airplanes have two beacons. Some GA aircraft have them also.

2 Likes

You might want to retract that statement ;)

Yeah I agree with Sam and ou should have said most not all

2 Likes

Never noticed that before on the E170. Interesting find. It does indeed seem to alternate between flashing the strobes on both sides simultaneous and left and right separately.

2 Likes

newer boeing and embraer aircraft have an LED strobe, which instead of a fast flash blink… it apparently saves money? idk

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.