Strobe light usage

I usually turn my strobe and landing lights on once I both get my takeoff clearance, and when I am about to enter the runway.

4 Likes

Strobe lights go on when entering the active runway, and stay on until you exit the runway on your arrival. :)

7 Likes

They are both correct, you get your clearance and then you enter. Whether you cross a runway or takeoff/land they should be on if you are on the runway.

1 Like

Don’t u also turn in on when ur crossing a runway? And keep it on all the way till u enter the runway ur suppose to take off

1 Like

Btw landing lights go off at 10 thousand when you ascend and descend.

2 Likes

Read what I said. Whenever on a runway. If you are on a taxiway they shouldn’t be on so once you e it the runway switch them off.

1 Like

IRL:

Strobes are used when on a runway, cleared for takeoff or not, or just crossing, you want to be seen. Just don’t have them on the taxiways is all.

To clarify the rest, we turn on landing lights on takeoff when we are cleared for takeoff. On descent, since the landing lights are switched on at 10’000ft, we turn on the taxi and runway turn off lights when cleared to land.

(This serves as a reminder of the clearance and a good way to never forget your lights)

Cheers!

4 Likes

It really depends, some aircraft require you turn your strobes on before engine start since they don’t have beacons. My aircraft we have them on prior to start and keep them on.
Others you can turn on prior to take off and or crossing runways, I have a few fixed wing guys who just turn them on the entire time from start up to start down.

1 Like

If you have a beacon, it’s on from engine start to engine shutdown. If you are flying a light aircraft and it only has ‘strobes’ then the ‘strobes’ are also a beacon! ;)

As far as commercial goes, you must always have your strobes on when entering or exiting an active runway. Be that for crossing or for line up clearance prior to receiving your take off clearance. Once crossing the runway hold bars the strobes must be on.

Lots of pilots will keep their landing lights off until lined up and cleared but that’s a different thing.

Conspicuity!

6 Likes

IRL strobes also have different frequencies. Would be cool to have that implemented into IF.

1 Like

You can use a strobe light after you get clearance to enter the runaway, or if a unicom you enter the active runaway.

1 Like

You turn on your strobes and landing lights if cleared for takeoff, if told to line up and wait you turn on strobes and when cleared you turn on landing lights and switch the landing lights off after 10,000ft if I’m correct?

1 Like

But once you’ve crossed the runway and ur on the taxiway do u keep on or turn it off

1 Like

It’s really simple. When on an active runway. Once you exit the runway you are then on a taxiway so bingo! - It should be switched off.

1 Like

Are landing lights turned on under 10,000 along with the strobes? Or do they come on when cleared for landing

1 Like

NVM I believe the question was previously answered.

1 Like

As posted in the Infinite Flight FAQ in #tutorials

Give it a read, its a good one.

While real life procedures may vary depending on the airline and country, in Infinite Flight the preferred lights are different due to lack of additional lights. This is a general guideline. Some specific aircraft like the TBM do not have beacon lights and some taxi with strobes on in real life.

When Nav Lights Beacon Strobe Lights Landing Lights
Unoccupied Aircraft Off Off Off Off
Occupied Aircraft On Off Off Off
Upon Pushback/Taxi Clearance On On Off Off
While Taxiing On On Off Off
Entering Runway/Upon Takeoff or LUAW Clearance/Back Taxi On On On On
Crossing Runway On On On On
Cruise below 10,000 feet AGL On On On On
Cruise above 10,000 feet AGL On On On Off

You can go crazy talking about real life vs IF, mainly since we don’t have taxi lights, tail lights, etc.

6 Likes

Just what I was looking for. Thanks!

2 Likes

That’s great, although we don’t really use landing lights when crossing a runway…

That’s a great guideline though and hopefully IF adds more lights eventually.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.