Strobe light and landing lights confusion | On and off

There’s something I don’t get, I understand your suppose to have landing lights on and strobes on while crossing runways, but what happens when you’re done taxing over the runway to your point, do they turn it off or do they leave it until they get to their destination

2 Likes

Strobe lights are there when you are on the runway at anytime. Landing lights are used when holding short, taking off, landing, and exiting the runway.

1 Like

Turn them off and it’s only strobes you do this with.

1 Like

You only turn your strobe lights on when crossing a runway, while taking off, and while landing.

Landing lights are used for when landing, taking off, and taxiing.

Not taxiing.

3 Likes

Since we don’t have taxi lights, the landing lights are used for a substitution.

3 Likes

You turn the strobes off after you take off?

Well, that’s what I do. Unless you’re not supposed to do that…

Yes, strobes are used when on the runway, to alert any aircraft on final of movement on the runway. If you use strobe lights when on the taxiway, it will confuse the pilot on final.

1 Like

As said above, turn strobes on when ever you are in the air or on an active runway. Turn landing lights on for taxiing (as taxiway lights, this is optional) and when taking off, landing or under 10,000 feet

6 Likes

You don’t need to have strobe lights on when climbing. You can, but I don’t think it is necessary.

1 Like

From what I’ve heard, you need them anytime while under 10,000 ft. I’m not positive and would like to know what the real rule is, too.

1 Like

I’m not sure … But anyway, this is a sim …

2 Likes

All I can find PPL wise is “the lights must be operated as specified for the particular class of aircraft”

Night is non optional.

All I know is I turn on strobes IRL for entering runway and at all times in flight and landing lights upto about 1000/1500 whenever stabilised.

2 Likes

I said that talking about landing lights…

Hi, I hope both of these sources help!

6 Likes

Strobes stay on until you exit the runway at your destination.

3 Likes

Was that ment for me?

Lighting
Beacon-on anytime the engine is running so all the time in IF. Off- when engines off or in a cloud.

Nav lights- it was explained to me by my CFII that they are like headlights on a car and only go on before dusk the off after sunrise.

Strobes- on when entering a runway, off when exiting, or while in a cloud

Landing lights- on when entering the runway, and on approach. Off at your des cession on climb. Off when exiting…

Landing lights : While taxiing, during take-off and Under Fl100, and on landings

Strobe lights : On when cleared for line up and wait or cleared for takeoff, are on for the whole flight, on when crossing runways. Not on durning taxi

Nav lights : Remain on

2 Likes