Storm Ciara - Fastest Subsonic New York To London Flight, Qantas 787-9 Tail Strike, Go-Arounds, Diversions, & More

Fun times for whoever’s in Europe right now.

1. British Airways Breaks The Subsonic Flight Record From New York To London

British Airways flight 112 (747-400) from New York to London Heathrow broke record time by flying the route in 4 hours and 56 minutes beating Norwegian’s previous record of 5 hours and 13 minutes.

The aircraft reached a top speed of 717 knots (825 mph or 1327 km/h). This is possible thanks to the massive 200 mph tailwind Storm Ciara is producing across the Atlantic.

However, Virgin Atlantic flight 4 was ONE minute away from British Airways’ #112 record.

VS4 flew New York to London in 4 hours and 57 minutes. Additionally, VS46 flew the route in 4 hours and 59 minutes. (Both A350-1000s)

And, Virgin Atlantic even responded:

(Image by Airbus/Virgin Atlantic)

2. Qantas 787-9 from London to Perth is currently holding over the U.K. due to a reported tailstrike on takeoff.

This is QF#10 operated by VH-ZND, which is the Yam Dreaming livery.

The aircraft is currently holding over the U.K. at 6,700 feet. The flight departed at 1:00 p.m. local time.

Update: Landed safely and appears to be no visible damage.

3. Go-arounds and diversions everywhere

Enjoy this guy livestreaming London Heathrow. You can watch some pretty amazing go-arounds and hard landings:

32 Likes

QF10 just landed safely but hard. Appears to be no visible damage from the ground perspective.

3 Likes

I’m watching it too, almost 20 go arounds and it’s been really fun

2 Likes

It’s weird, I’ve seen more go arounds from Heavies than the smaller A320s

3 Likes

They need more runway to land on so if they overshoot it they’re more likely to go around.

3 Likes

True true true.

This is really some bad weather, I’m watching the livestream you linked above, and I’m surprised how many flights are making it in

1 Like

BA B777 touch and go.

Arrival from Abuja BA82

1 Like

It looks like it’s calmed down a bit since then.

KLM #1386 had an interesting time arriving in AMS. Appears to have done 3 go-arounds before landing.

2 Likes

Was watching that. One of the coolest things I have seen in a while. Aquaplaning is my guess

2 Likes

I saw that too. What a go around. If the spoilers had deployed would he of been committed to land. No chance or a go around after that?
Jerry’s channel is awesome.

1 Like

Yeah. Hopefully a RW pilot can shed some light on it. Totally unexpected!

Hehe, just cycled against the wind 😏. What storm are y’all talking about?

Yeah, I watched that stream too. Pretty skilled pilots landing there, they land those aircraft better than me without any winds…

1 Like

@Ishrion I saw this on Slack earlier:

1 Like

I believe that flight would have beaten them all at 4 hours and 46 minutes.

Was watching that one last night. Unfortunately it had two go-arounds at Gatwick before diverting to Copenhagen.

The rule is no go-around after initiating reverse trust as far as I know. Not 100% sure though.

1 Like

These winds are scary fast

Really strong winds in the Bay Area too, with lots of diversions, many go-arounds, and the use of the 1 runways at San Francisco!

Anyways, probably sucks for some airlines that had to cancel a lot of flights such as British Airways 😬

1 Like

Yeah, the highest I’m seeing is 202 over the pacific