Stopping performance

Is it just me or do planes on IF have a very good stopping performance? I have notice planes in IF are able to stop very quickly or is this just me going overboard with reverse thrust and breaks?

7 Likes

That’s true and something I notice regularity as well.

One of the reasons why this is the case, is that IRL often only idle reverse is used (which is quite difficult to do in IF) and also low or medium braking for most landings.

4 Likes

I tend to find this, for me using less break and more reverse thurst is better and feels more realistic.

1 Like

I’m currently half way through a feature request that will help this.

3 Likes

It is the same thing as people who go to full throttle on takeoff. Some people apply breaks as soon as they touch down regardless of speed. This combined with reverse thrust can give an unrealistic stopping distance.

8 Likes

Use 50% reverse or below, and you will be ok
And also, i’m applying brakes only if i’m heavy loaded, or just runway is short.

3 Likes

To add, often full flaps are not used. The 772s go to flap for longer fields is 25 - usually full flaps are only used at the Carribean destinations and areas with perf limitations. Coming into Heathrow, typically flap 25 is the norm - flap 3 for the 319/320, etc. Reverse thrust is usually idled too on longer runways - especially when you want to get to T5 from the 27s :D

1 Like

For realism I tend to use 50% reverse thrust and braking action. Then mitigate from there if in need more.

1 Like

I usually use at most 50% reverse thrust, and about 50-75 % braking. I find this to be as realistic as possible.

2 Likes

Actually when I search I found the opposite lol (most airlines use 30, BA uses 25 cuz Heathrow noise abatement)

1 Like

I’m pretty sure only the a320/737 fam doesn’t typically use full flaps configurations

1 Like

Also dash 8 uses flaps 15 sometimes I heard.

1 Like

BA 772s typically use flap 25 on non performance limiting runways, regardless of noise abatement. You’ll also find that 737 operators rarely use flap 40 unless into short runways too. I know that most American operators use flap full on their Airbus however. Depends on SOP typically - BA SOP allows pilots choice between full or not, and aas flap 3/25 gives a better flare feeling, those are typically used.

1 Like