Stop With The Hurtful Names!

Hi everyone 👋

A bit of a moan, and something that’s been annoying me for a while.

As you might well know the world has had some pretty controversial topics in lately, and some stuff that’s been very close to people’s hearts and it’s all a very sensitive topic.

I’ve been doing a lot of flying around over the past week, and I have to say I was disgusted at some of the names that people have. These are the un-monitored “Pilot names”. Some of the names that people were putting in were hurtful, rude, offensive and racist. I’m not going to start naming and shaming or putting what they were on here - but it’s just not okay! You’ve got to stop doing this kinda stuff!! One of the things that disturbed me most was that these kind of names were the names of pilots flying on the expert server, (of all places) the place where everyone is; ‘professional’ and holds the ‘ethos and values‘ that all pilots should have.

I appreciate that it’s not everyone, and it’s only a very, very small minority of people doing it, but it’s those few people who make these sort of selfish actions which leads to others feeling unwelcome and disrespected, and at the end of the day we’re all one big community with a common passion for flying, and making everyone feel welcome!

So, we just need to stop doing this! It’s not funny, it’s not a joke, and we need to sort it out!!

5 Likes

Hello sorry your having this experience! If you deem a users callsign or display name is hurtful or inappropriate shoot @moderators a PM and they can take it from there and take proper actions as it is something not tolerated. :)

5 Likes

What names are you referring to?

The report button has lost its function and does not work as of now

2 Likes

yes I know you can but I can’t do it for everyone and I’m not personally offended but I really feel for someone who is legitimately offended by the names 😔

Hopefully this helps. That’s enough info to give you a main idea without going into detail.

Ok
I just want to make sure these names aren’t political names that don’t align with your views

1 Like

It’s the pilot names so not the callsigns bit, but the bit above the callsign where you can put anything you want

You can hide names, just go to the settings.

I wanna just say too - I’m not personally offended or anything - but I want to bring attention to the fact that it’s happening, when it shouldn’t be, and that some people are actually offended by these sorts of things and I really feel for them 😔😔

1 Like

Hi @al_col,

Thanks for your topic today. While there is a system in place that blocks many inappropriate callsigns and display names, there are always some users who find a way to circumvent that system. We’re sorry to hear that you had a bad experience because of this.

You can always bring those things to the attention of us moderators. If you see a highly inappropriate callsign for example, take a screenshot and send a message to @ moderators. We’ll have a look at it to see if it violates our guidelines and take measures if deemed necessary.

Thank you very much for your help, take care and stay safe,
Marc

13 Likes