Stop requesting 07L/25R

(This is an educational rant. Please give me feedback. Pilots, experienced ATC’s, am I right in not bending over backwards to accommodate? Please let me know!!)
Dear pilot: I see you requesting 07L/25R at KLAX repeatedly. I’m not gonna give it to you. Here’s why:
Whenever I ATC at KLAX I get planes unhappy with their runway assignment. Runway 07L/25R is the longest runway at KLAX as you can see here:

It’s 12,069 feet long, plenty of room for a comfortable landing, even with a couple of unprofessional bounces. The difference is actually marked enough that you can tell 07L/25R is the longest at a mere glance - you don’t even have to open the runways tab to get the exact measurements. It therefore acts as a pilot magnet - who wouldn’t want an easy landing? That’s why about 50-75% of pilots on playground come in requesting 07L/25R, even though it’s only 25% of the available runways! And unlike some other airports, those other runways aren’t short, dinky ones! 07R/25L, 06R/24L and 06L/24R are 11,061, 10,869 and 8,910 respectively. The last is enough for even an a380 to land! So you can see that if you have control of your plane, you don’t need 07L/25R! It’s overkill! And if you haven’t yet learnt to control your plane and for some reason still insist on flying in the training server, let’s face it: you’re gonna crash a few times before you do learn to control it.

So we’ve established that you don’t really need 07L/25R. “Okay”, I hear you say, “I don’t NEED 07L/25R. But why not just let me land there once I’m asking? What’s the harm?” Firstly, granted. Go ahead and try. Request a runway change. But if I say ‘unable’, let it be. Don’t ask again. I understand what you want, but won’t accommodate you. And here’s why:

As I mentioned before, 50-75% of planes are asking for 07L/25R. KLAX gets pretty busy, and I can’t fit you all in for 07L/25R. When it’s not so busy, I do make an effort to give you 07L/25R, and even when it is, I do sometimes try for it every once in a while. But I can’t do it very often for the next reason: most planes on the ground are taxiing to and waiting at 07L/25R. Most of the passenger gates are on the south side of the airport. When it’s busy, I have a line of planes waiting to depart 07L/25R, and I want to depart them in a timely fashion. And though I rush them (cleared for immediate takeoff), they often take some time to actually start their takeoff roll, meaning that even if I try to squeeze you in, I often end up having to send you around, and that’s something we BOTH hate (not to mention something you often ignore leading to a catastrophic crash and a closure of the runway 😉).

In summary, go ahead. Request 25R (yeah the title of this post is kinda clickbait). If I’m feeling magnanimous and generous I’ll try to squeeze you in. But it might not work, and more importantly, I might say no. If that happens, stop there. Accept whatever other runway I’ve assigned you. There’s no good reason you can’t.

4 Likes

Here’s the truth:

DO NOT EVER REQUEST 06R, 06L, 07R, 07L. KLAX NEVER USED THESE EXCEPT IN THE EARLY MORNING HOURS THEY SOMETIMES USE 06L. #KeepTheRealismAtKLAX

16 Likes

I didn’t know that! Obviously though for a strong tailwind I’d have to use them. I’ll keep it in mind though!

2 Likes

Like even if the winds are in favor of 07R, 06R, etc. ATC will still use the 24, and 25 runways.

2 Likes

I understand. Thanks for letting me know

2 Likes

I believe most pilots like to land on this runway because they want to land on the same runway that almost every departure is using aswell. (Dear pilots, this is not fun to deal with as ATC. As IFATC myself I say to you, stop it, get some help)

5 Likes

Heres the real truth. Stop controlling on TS and become an IFATC!!!

4 Likes

The fact that it’s TS1 I would just ignore all the repeated messages and etc and not reply to those who are being obnoxious ,You really can’t do anything except by becoming IFATC
They don’t use the west side until 11pm-4am I think
Also 24R and 25L are used for landings only

2 Likes

I don’t. And there is no ‘rule’ in IF we have to do this.
I surely understand the desire to keep things as much as real-world as possible, and every IFATC is encouraged to apply this where it makes sense. But IFATCs have very few rules about runway usage at airports.

For example at KASE, we apply the real world rule that runway 15 is used for inbound, while we take off from the other end, runway 33. But there is a practical terrain reason for this.

At KLAX we apply a practice where we land on the outer runways, and takeoff from the two inner ones. That’s as far as the rules go.

4 Likes

The outer runway landing and inner runway departure format is very common with aiports that have parallel runways

2 Likes

I kind of agree, I think we should leave 25R for the jumbos (A380, 747)
I don’t like crowded runways, so it’s a good idea to go to 24L and 24R if there’s more than 6 planes queuing up, that’s where it gets crazy because of all the noob pilots…

1 Like

KLAX uses 25L and 24R for landings
They can use both for heavies and A380s 77Ws etc because the TBIT Terminal is easy to get to from both runways
And You Know LAX has heavy traffic on the northern side (24R24L)
And diverting planes from the south side to the north side is not a good strategy

2 Likes

They also probably request for 07L/25R because it is the closest to all the main terminals.

3 Likes

24L/6R same story ,closest to delta and maybe united

2 Likes

You know what, I think pilots choose 25R for landing, because they know most traffic spawns on that side, and they wanna be where this action is and show-off their landing skills.

Any chance that this could be true?

4 Likes

Maybe, because I’ve seen a lot of people land on 25R, so yeah maybe you’re right

2 Likes

Maybe,but knowing TS1 ,it’s probaly just the pilot wanting to land to the runway that’s closest to their gate
I’d like to show off my landing skills tho 😊

3 Likes

Careful with the word only - it is not uncommon for 25L to be used for departures … primarily cargo and GA.

2 Likes

Closest for Delta and Southwest. United and American park on the south side.

2 Likes

How about you service the pilots. Unless you have a major backup on the ground why not use 25R for inbound? It may not be real world procedures but then again you don’t have real world pilots calling in 10 miles out at 18k so that point is moot.

During FNF events for example we may designate a landing runway because of the volume but it also involves coordination with the approach controller.

This doesn’t mean that pilots get what they want regardless. There are flows and plans in place especially when it’s busy that may dictate certain runways. You won’t get the other end of the runway just because you request it.

ATC is there to provide an efficient and safe service to pilots. We use all runways when available when applicable where it makes sense to.

6 Likes