Stop and Go or Full Stop Landing?

Hi All,

Quick question, according to the IFATC Manual section 6.4.1, when cleared for the option a pilot can do a landing, touch & go / stop & go or a low approach. Now, obviously if an aircraft is doing a full stop landing the use of the exit runway command is required, but how can one tell if a pilot intends to stop and go or land? Furthermore, on the pilot side, what would you do if you were doing a stop and go and you were told to exit the runway?

Many thanks

3 Likes

When someone reports final, they have the option to say “Full Stop”, “Touch and Go”, or “Send”.
I don’t know the answer to the exit question.

4 Likes

Yes, but often you don’t report final because ATC has cleared you for the option by then. Some controllers will clear you on crosswind.

1 Like

Personally I always announce my position if I decide to land with a 'full stop’on the end, with no extra communication or reporting of positions, once the ATC knows, the ATC knows.

1 Like

I don’t reporting position has anything to do with landing clearance.

There’s no need to report your position after being cleared to land. You’ll get “You’re already cleared to land, avoid unnecessary reports”

5 Likes

When I report position on expert, I don’t get that response…

1 Like

It is not required to tell the controller when you plan on landing, however it is nice to say you are.

1 Like

When we clear pilots for the option, we keep in mind that he might do a stop n’ go therefore we won’t issue an exit runway command.

Now, how can you tell wether the pilot is gonna do a full stop or not after being cleared for the option? You can’t. You basically count on the pilot reporting that he’s gonna do a full stop.

3 Likes

Thank you, that’s what I was looking for.

1 Like

You should (unless you use it as your initial call in, in which case it’s still wrong, but we just gave up on trying to get people to call in right).

3 Likes

If you say that you are on final ,FULL STOP, then the ATC will use the exit instruction:)
Correct me if I’m wrong

1 Like

It is always nice that when we clear for the option (normally when you are doing patterns and touch and goes), if you are going to stop doing patterns and full stop, report the position followed by full stop.
So, we will appreciate the full stop report as we won’t have the need to be so aware during the landing roll, if you are going to accelerate or you are stopping to exit runway. We will know that we have to give the exit runway command.

1 Like

Just request the option?

1 Like

Unless you say otherwise, when I clear you for the option, runway XX, I’m assuming you’re doing either a low approach, touch and go or stop and go. A real professional would have the courtesy to report when they’re ending their pattern work. “___ Tower, N1234 is on left downwind runway XX, full stop”

Note: while this is NOT a requirement, it is considered a professional courtesy.

8 Likes

So if I’m in tower and a call comes in “inbound on the ILS runway 25R”…without the full stop or touch and go, do I just automatically “clear for the option” as I’ve no way of telling what their intention is

No, you clear them to land. If they’re gonna do a touch n’ go, they would call “inbound on the ILS runway 25R for touch n’ go”.

1 Like

As for the exit thing on the pilot side, there is no need to stop on the runway; the throttle should only be closed for a few seconds once the initial landing phase is complete before the ‘go’ bit happens. Furthermore, your speed shouldn’t really drop all that much during the touch and go, so it will be reasonably obvious that you’re not planning on exiting the runway on that particular circuit.

1 Like

I always get. :/

Nope, I mostly choose the “Send” button without the Commands “Fullstop” Or “Touch and go” yet I Still get the exit runway request. =)

1 Like