Still humbly learning

If a pilot is at FL360 should they be contacting departure?

1 Like

Im not an expert for atc but I am pretty sure you don’t have to. If they want to contact ATC they should use center.

2 Likes

I miss center since global

1 Like

No they shouldn’t. They can request flight following but if they’re 50nm out or over 18k ft, switch them over to another freq…I’m not a radar controller but I believe that’s what is taught in IFATC. Of course I’ll be called out if I’m wrong :)

4 Likes

Also usually you won’t need to contact pilots at FL360. Most of the time they are on flight following and don’t need instruction. There also won’t be much traffic up at those altitudes. Also most pilots are AFK during their flights and trying to contact them while at FL360 will be rough

2 Likes

I had a pilot contact me at fl360 while i was doing departure…and they were grade 4…just wanted to make sure i was right for ignoring them

1 Like

It’s not wrong to contact departure at FL360. Usually people don’t do it though. (Taking strictly in IF)

1 Like

Departure airspace in IF only goes up to 18k, center would be used above that, hopefully we see a center revival sooner or later, but at cruise most pilots are not with their device as you mentioned.

3 Likes

This would never happen even in IF

Flight following is a VFR service, and VFR flight is not permitted in Alpha airspace FL180-FL600. Therefore that is inapplicable to the situation.

3 Likes

Thanks, @Brandon_Sandstrom…I appreciate the clarification and explanation…always learning.

1 Like

Guess they got a bit confused on the roles and forgot that DEP are ATC after take-off until reaching FL180…or out of coverage. FL360 is way above your area,perghaps he just wanted a chat as was lonely on a long haul?

I sometimes tune in to other ATC frequencies whilst I am on a long haul flight and am just ‘passing through’.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.