Step climbing with the A350

hello,

is there a guide anywhere on step climbing with the A350 as it can go higher with heavier loads compared to other airplanes. I tried to look but there was nothing I could find

Hi, Tyler! While this isn’t specific to the A350, the Infinite Flight Flying Guide covers step climbing here.

The concept is similar for all aircraft; the main difference is your initial altitude. For the A350, I’d suggest leveling off around FL350 and going from there. If your N1 is low (roughly 80%), its most likely safe to climb further.

1 Like

I have read that a whle ago. I am cruising at FL370 with 85% load just fine. I was hoping for more related to the A350 has it seems to be the outlier comparted to the other aircraft that is why I am asking.

Hey Tyler!

Please check out what Luca said, as the user guide link he replied with should be enough, and should be referenced first in the situation… but in the case that you do have troubles understanding that guide, we also have a guide here on the forum as well that was recently updated in late May.

That can be found here :

I know your question is specific to the A350, but unfortunately, I can’t tell you much about it. I’d compare your weights to the most optimum cruising altitudes, refer to the guides, and make a decision from that point. Hope I could be of assistance.

Thanks,
Shane

1 Like

Ok I did not want this. my question is specific to the A350 you can find the why in my response to Luca.

And I apologize that I’m unable to assist you with the specifics to the Airbus 350, but within the guide I linked, not quite sure about the manual, there is listed steps, that indirectly refer you to the cruising altitudes of the A350, and they can also be found elsewhere.

A big part of your flight is managing the work by yourself as well. We’ve provided you with the best possible information on step climbing that we have, now it is your responsibility to apply those guides to your current situation.

1 Like

The step climb concept really doesn’t change a whole lot from aircraft to aircraft. If you can climb higher, climber higher until you reach your optimum/desired cruising altitude.

1 Like

ok, sorry, I could have rephrased the question better. From my understanding another heavy cannot climb to FL370 with a 90% load factor. so I was more curious on is there a way to find what is the maximum weight you can be for a specific altitude?

1 Like

Yes, there is a way. However, you’d need to be a pilot for the actual aircraft to get the tables for this information. They will generally give you a given weight and a temperature to use based on actual and real time data. Run those numbers together and you get an altitude. Charts aren’t published as public information. 🙂

You’ll just have to eyeball it and try your best. I general rule of thumb is using your N1 as a baseline. When I cruise, I won’t want my N1 to get above 92% and I’ll cruise until it drops to 89% before climbing to my next altitude. It works really well.

6 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.