STC Space Traffic Control

Would this be possible when hundreds of spacecraft start flying from the earth to the moon or mars? I think it would be relevant because ATC would be irrelevant to use out of earth athomosphere.

1 Like

Possibly but currently there is no point, I think the space agency’s EG… NASA and ESA are capeable

Boeing 787, contact NASA departure…
Do not exeed mach 22.89… or better,
maintain current altitude turn left, clear for atmospheric enter

13 Likes

I dont think it would be headings

yes I think to ._.

Why is this a topic lol of course there would need to be

If you think controlling the Training Server is hard, try controlling an entire galaxy ;) I couldn’t imagine having to control a space that big (no pun intended)

3 Likes

Lets say they get payed like around $400K a year

I don’t believe there are any plot points regarding locations in open space, so right away many question come to mind. How do you differentiate control space? How do you establish air space when there is not terrain or a max operating ceiling? Would there be a tutorial for how to drop a deuce in zero gravity during the pre-flight safety briefing? These are all very important questions that need to be answered ASAP.

2 Likes

There really isn’t a need for space traffic control, there is so much space out there (pardon the pun) that there is no need for any type of controlling. Spaceships will be able to see things from millions of kilometres away.

In 6.8 billion miles, slight left

2 Likes

I don’t think this is IF related

I think when its launched to space, before exit the atmosphere they already have a preplanned trajectory. Usually in space space, they avoid doing an inclination change so they can save on fuel. So their orbit inclination is prepared before even launching, their time of launch is also prepared so they either intercept or miss other space thingies.

After launch at a certain point, they tilt in that heading and glide their way out of atmosphere, then at the apoapsis, they start a prograde burn to bring up the periapsis. Once they establish both they are in orbit.

To rendezvous, they orbit until specific time, start specific burns until they are on the same altitude then they wait until they chase their target in space. Then start small maneuvers to close in on the object.

I think thats how they do it at least, knowledge comes from youtube and playing kerbal space program lol.

That would be surreal, in a very cool way.

Can you imagine being handed off from Houston to Earth Departure… then Mars Approach, being cleared for atmospheric entry.

If Elon Musks vision of an armada of hundreds of 100 seat space craft heading off to Mars every two years, to build a colony comes true they will need some kind of sequencing.

I think the would place many fixes:)
And that they work with space coordinates.

to my understanding, they dont go to the same altitude and then “chase” after the target craft, instead they stay in orbit below or above the target craft. As a result (because objects closer to planet will orbit faster… maths and geometry) there will be a calculated point where the craft attempting to rendevous can start a prograde/retrograde burn to increase/decrease altitude towards a point of intercept. Chasing the craft at the same altitude will be hugely inefficent as any prograde burn used to increase crafts velocity will also increase the apoapsis and thus potentially mess up point of intercept, of course having different apoapsis and periapsis could potentially lead to 2 points of intercept but it could also be fairly inefficent

PS yes KSP is a very good game i agee 😊

1 Like

Galactic* 492, Beware, Galactic 609 at 6 o’clock position, 2 miles at the back.
India Sierra Sierra, Beware, NASA 67 in close proximity.
Roger. Galactic 492. aware of traffic.
Copy that, India Sierra Sierra, we have sight of NASA 67 and are maintaining safe distance
*Virgin Galactic’s callsign

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.