State of Utah et al vs Google LLC Antitrust litigation

IF Staff, I was wondering if you heard about the above anti trust litigation case against google, and the potential results.

Here is a section i found interesting:

“Under the settlement, Google must allow developers to steer consumers away from the Google Play Store and toward alternative billing systems. Specifically, Google must (i) allow developers to contact users out-of-app (such as via email) using information obtained from within or outside the app to promote alternatives to Google’s billing system for at least six years; (ii) allow apps without in-app purchase capability to notify users about purchasing options and prices (e.g., “available on our website for $9.99”) outside of Google Play, for at least six years; and (iii) allow apps with in-app purchase capability to notify users about alternative purchasing options and prices (e.g., “available on our website for $9.99”) outside of Google Play, for at least five years. The Settlement also prohibits Google from barring developers from telling consumers about Google’s service fees for at least six years.35”

From my understanding, this would allow IF and other game devs to get around the 30% cut google takes from app revenue, which could be significant for funding future development. I could very well be wrong though.

For us google play consumers (in the us), we could be entitled to an entire $2.00 each… lol

Disclaimer: The sole purpose of this post is informatory. I want IF to be aware of this if they are not yet already. I am in no way looking to “force” IF to make an official response to pending litigation. If they want to comment they can if not its their choice. As i said before INFORMATORY!!!

2 Likes

I’m so confused lol

2 Likes

why you want money?

1 Like

Thanks for the information!

Hosting an app on an alternative provider is a huge ask and investment for an app of this size and popularity - a lot of internal systems that manage subscriptions and billings would need to be reworked, and the the hosting platform would need to be able to manage regular updates and support to the app. This consumes a lot of developer time, that could be used for many other purposes.

I’ve closed this on the grounds that it’s not something that will be considrered unless communicateed otherwise. :)