Starting Up an Airport Tug

I am sure that many of you may have wondered what it would be like to drive an airport Tug. I know that I had always dreamed of driving one since I was a young child. Now that I drive them every day at work, I decided to share this video with you guys about how you start one of these vehicles. I hope you enjoy! :)

29 Likes

Very interesting

5 Likes

the ones i drive at EGNT are all electric ones, the only diesel ones we have are the pushback tugs

4 Likes

Yeah, we are old school here in Arizona. XD

1 Like

Very interesting thing I never got to see before, very cool! Do you always leave the key in or is it taken away at the end of duty?

Thanks for the insight!

2 Likes

It’s actually not a key. It is just a little knob. None of the vehicles at the airport I work at have keys. We do have a lavatory truck with a key, but we always leave it in the ignition. The airport is highly protected, so I guess they don’t expect people to be stealing vehicles. Hope I helped. :)

2 Likes

That’s pretty interesting. Two questions, what does moving that lever up and down do to help start the tug and is it the same process to turn the vehicle off as it is to turn it on?

3 Likes

That lever shifts the Tug into Drive, Reverse, and Neutral. I have no idea why that helps it start. That is just what we do when the Tugs won’t start. XD

3 Likes

lol I remember fighting in the winter trying to start our diesel tug. good old memories!

2 Likes

Yep. They like to take their sweet time waking up. Each Tug has its own personality. Luckily in Arizona, we don’t have to experience the snow though. :)

2 Likes

It’s hilariously true. We had rampers who could sweet talk equipment lol. No one could start up our air start or de-icing truck, but someone I never had an issue. I couldn’t start our belt loader for the life of me. The throttle was finicky and I hated fighting with it. Kicked the tires out of frustration so many times hahah

2 Likes

All part of the beauty of being a ramp agent. XD

2 Likes

Yup! It’s a right of passage. Such a fun job though, I miss it. I would recommend anyone young to go do it if they love aviation and can’t fly immediately.

Once a ramp rat, always a ramp rat.

2 Likes

Definitely is a good job for young people. It pays pretty decently, you get good benefits, and its fun to do. :)

2 Likes

Random (not sure what airline you work with) but do you guys ever see cargo bin tagging? lol. It was a huge thing back when I was in the industry. People would write and tag up cargo bins. Was hilarious. We would also prank other HUBs with random items.

2 Likes

That’s funny. I haven’t seen that. We don’t really think of the rampers at the other airports. :)

1 Like

You definitely did, very interesting!! Thank you!

2 Likes

Thanks for the insight! This is really cool🤩😊. It’s startup is something I’ve never seen as well.

2 Likes

No problem. It is an awesome experience to work with these machines. :)

1 Like

What do u do at the airport?

2 Likes