Starting my first flying lessons

Hello IFC
Today I have something very exciting to share with you all I am starting my first flying lessons on Saturday at the Charlottesville Flight Center I will be going through ground school and then getting an hour in the plane with the instructor. I have a question for those who are in flight school or are real world pilots what is ground school like?

3 Likes

Oh my god. My good friend, your life will change for ever. I take flight lessons and I can tell you there is without a doubt no better feeling in the universe (cinnamon buns are a close second :D) than flying. Holding that yoke and lifting off the ground is amazing. Couldn’t wipe the grin off my face. You will love it. Ground school is awesome, not as fun as flying, but a great chance to take in new information and learn. I’m so happy you are taking flight lessons. Enjoy!!

3 Likes

I am going to get to fly in the good old Cessna me and my mom were originally going to take a vacation to Charlotte NC and instead I got enrolled in flying lessons but it is only going to be one lesson

1 Like

Nice. I started on a C172, then a C162. However, the door on the C162 like exploded and blew off mid flight at 3k feet on MY side so that was the end of that😂

1 Like

I fly C172’s now. Much better😂

1 Like

Wow that must have been scary

1 Like

Yeah it wasn’t great.

1 Like

You are so lucky. Good luck to you my friend👌

1 Like

Good luck, you’re in for a lot of fun!

1 Like
1 Like

@DeerCrusher knows best for this kind of stuff👍

1 Like

Ground school is pretty fun. Here’s a quote from another instructor I had for a while. “If you don’t want to do the ground school, you probably don’t want to be a pilot”.

Both the flying experience and the ground school are just as important. I’d say you will learn about the fundamentals of flight, the basics of your aircraft, etc. In the sky, chances are you will be brought out over a practice area and given control of the aircraft.

Your instructor may let you takeoff, but chances are you will not do the landing.

2 Likes

When you first fly…

The aircraft can actually keep level and in control if you let go of the controls.

You only want VERY small movements to the stick, but every aircraft is different, I learned innate PA28.

Check your headset, during my first lesson my microphone wasnt working, but I was still confident and flew fine during the whole trip

You have to check your visual more than your controls, which are slightly delayed. If you follow your controls youd end up bouncing up and down to get yourself level.

There are 3 places tou are supposed to look in a row:

• Surroundings
• Visual reference, usually the Dashboard to the skyline.
• Instruments, speed and altitude etc…

3 Likes

I wouldn’t say I know everything but I do tend to think that I know a fair amount. Enough to offer some helpful advice with your pilot journey from a real world perspective.

4 Likes

I learned so much on my first ground school lesson. Like stalls and spins and the safety of the aircraft its look of Information but you will get in

1 Like

I’m not sure why, but in my first flying lesson my flight instructor never actually went over stalls, proper speeds and no preflight inspection. And I actually knew the flight instructor pretty well, too. Next month’s lesson I might ask for a different instructor because I don’t think it was a proper flight lesson. I wonder why.

1 Like

As everyone else has mentioned ground school is fun, but also very important. It can be a bit dry at times but also very interesting at other times.

You’ll want to remember that if you keep going with your flight training, to also keep up with your ground school. Lots of people neglect the ground school as they just want to fly, fly, fly. But don’t forget to get a licence you need to do a practical AND written examination. Don’t get held up in your flying because you didn’t want to do groundschool!

Also be prepared for lots of self study. Depending on how you learn. You may only do an hour of ground school with an instructor. But you’ll then also need to do a few hours yourself making sure you understand the material and are coming back with questions.

1 Like

It’s fun don’t stress and learn. Enjoy.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.