STAR's and SID's

Following a STAR or SID will alleviate a great deal of pressure of our ATC. Not that you need to build it into the platform but people would need to understand them and follow them. Many sites out there that you can download them.

5 Likes

I like to use them when I fly. Although I don’t think many people would want to learn how to read them unfortunately but who knows :)

2 Likes

I totally agree with you. They really aren’t that hard to understand, but I’m sure there are plenty of people who don’t feel like putting in the time or effort into doing so. Especially considering the large number of trolls and not-so-professional pilots there are as well.

2 Likes

Making it a rule would just be chaotic. Radar controllers are recommended to use SIDs/STARs to base their vectors off of, but nothing is really required at this point a) because 3 in 5 pilots don’t care, and b) large volumes of traffic make it difficult to follow realistic procedures.

1 Like

I am a big fan of this, and there are quite a few pilots who make use of SIDs and STARs. Even better now is that with fpltoif.com now can add these two your flight plans which is a great help.

Some of IFATC try to make use of these, but sadly not all, or not all have the opportunity due to traffic levels, however I agree that if they where implemented it would help greatly with the traffic flow, both in and out.

1 Like

I think training IFATC and requiring them to look over STARs and SIDs for the airport they are controlling prior to opening would be a good idea. Adds more realism to the game.

2 Likes

Winning post @Cloudcrasher1 I’m glad to see that someone else thinks this way. We unfortunately many don’t understand how to read charts/fly the procedures and unfortunately they don’t care. They’d rather make a non-flightplan that’s WPT KLAX and descend at 18K over the airport or make up something that interferes with the flow of arrivals/departures. I’ve had this issue many a time where I follow the arrival and approach plate and have someone cut me off on final with a flightplan that has just the runway fix in it. The more pilots we can get to start reading the charts and flying them, the easier it will be for ATC and other pilots!

YES YES 1000 TIMES YES! There are quite a few controllers who know how to use the charts and will vector aircraft accordingly! But to have it in new training for ATC (and Pilots!) would be excellent and an upgrade to traffic on the expert server!

3 Likes

Looks like there’s 5/6 pilots here that care @DiamondGaming4!!

And if you care you’ll make 6/6!

1 Like

Even checking out flight aware will show the current traffic patterns as runways in use.

1 Like

There is so much more than IFATC could do to make IF even more realistic. Drag routes for taxiing, SIDs/STARs, There’s infinite amounts of things. It’s just a matter of someone stepping up to implement it.

2 Likes

@David_Lockwood I think Flightradar24 is usually a better option to check into headings/vectors active runways/procedures in use. I use FlightAware for the quick overview as below:

Here we see an overview of KBOS-
Blue Arrivals are coming in on the OOSHN5 and ROBUC3 while the green departures are going out to BLZZR and/or PATSS and SSOXS to the Southeast

When I look to FR24, I’ve got the waypoints/altitudes etc. to check on arrivals and departures.

1 Like

Toss up a feature request thread and you’ll get my vote!

I’ll start working on it.

1 Like

@anon82246052 send me over a draft in a PM I’d be happy to take a look, at virtualBlue we require our pilots to fly by the SID/STAR/ILS charts in the US and wherever the waypoints permit.

You can see that working in practice here toward the end of the video and in many videos on our channel:

We pride ourselves on realism, professionalism and flying “by the numbers” so any pilots like yourself that are looking for more realism-feel free to come join us when we launch virtualBlue 2.0!

2 Likes

Some of our radar controllers actually use STARs when operating airports. We use IFATC.org sometimes to plan approach paths. Some of the airports have navigation data, and you can see SIDs and STARs for that airport, all in one place. You can read more about that here here. However, sometimes with large amounts of traffic, it is too difficult to keep up with these and we need to resort to more practical methods.

1 Like

I’ve recently started using it when departing my local airports. I’ve done some extensive reading up on it and downloaded maps for it.

It’s a bit more difficult for me when flying internationally as I’m not quite clued up with traffic flows but this is a good point being made and a brilliant idea.

1 Like

For me I just don’t like it when I set a SID/STAR then the approch controller will send you on a completely different route to get to the RWY. The only time that I have had a proper approch by ATC was when I was approaching NZQN with @MJhendo being ATC

1 Like

Our idea is on expert that you wouldn’t have to because the controller would have flow control from the STAR and it would be required of both pilots and controllers

I appreciate it when controllers use them… But as to this above:
The SID/STAR procedures are specifically designed to funnel traffic in and help ease controllers workloads The point being behind this whole concept is that if the pilots and controllers are required to use the procedures, then the controllers can use more speed controls and RW vectors to keep traffic separated.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.