Stalling problems due to winds

Honestly really annoyed right now, I wanted to do a flight from KIAH-OTHH throughout the night and land the next day, when i checked back on my phone after about 10 minutes after takeoff, the stall warning was going off due to the plane being thrown around due to wind speeds of 100kts. I turned off autopilot along with LNAV and tried to correct the aircraft manually but nothing helped. I was flying the A350-900, with the weight below the MTOW. Is there anything I can do next time to avoid this kind of situation happening?
Thank you,
Balazs K

3 Likes

Your plane should be fine even in 100kts winds. Are you reducing your VS as you climb higher? It seems like that is a more plausible reason for the stall.

When your airspeed drops too low the plane will start to violently shake right before stalling out, which could be why it appears to be wind related. Also IAH to DOH is a fairly long flight, and you probably won’t be able to get much higher then 35000ish feet initially at MTOW. Even then you would need to be at like +1200 fpm

1 Like

Could you please provide the replay of the flight?

2 Likes

It happened to me in Dublin 45 minutes ago

1 Like

100 knots is quite serious, not serious enough to prevent an A350 from takeoff but serious enough that you should take those winds into account on your takeoff procedure.

I’m assuming here we are dealing with tailwind sine that’s far more likely to cause a stall than cross winds.

What I would do in this situation is use as much runway as I can to build up speed in the ground before lifting up my nose up, then make sure my VS is lowest practical for the SID until my speed is stable.

Taking off (or landing for that matter) with such high winds is a lot different than under normal weather and takes a bit of practice with any equipment.

2 Likes

I had something similar a couple of days ago. You have to take headwind into account. As I was on final with approx 15kts front winds and full flaps at 140kts AAL the autopilot tried to compensate. I turned it off and steered the plane manually. Reducing flaps also helped the plane to stabilize itself.

edit: sorry I missed that this happened while cruising.

1 Like

Similar thing happened to me with the A350, I couldn’t fly higher than FL350 and I was just more than MLW. My Vertical speed was about 1100ft/m because higher than that and it would reach 101% N1 and it would pitch up violently.

I when I tried to get it to FL380, it was impossible... It stalled with a climb of 600ft/m.
1 Like

I was thinking a bit further into your scenario, there’s a few other things to look for.

One of them is runway choice, and making sure you are using the correct runway. Taking off with 100 knot crosswind is pretty suicidal.

Another thing I would look for is minding your flaps, these can play a big role in either your stall speed or impact your VS on initial climb.

I also remember one scenario where I took off with high wind (nothing even close to 100 but high enough) if you are facing strong headwinds that does generate a surprising amount of extra lift which can cause you to inadvertently take off at an incredibly high VS. the more I think about it the more I believe this could have caused your stall.

I’d be super curious to see a replay so I can learn more from your experience:)

1 Like

@Lightrain

The issue isn’t takeoff, it’s while ascending to cruise. Taking off in 100kts winds will like never happen as the airport would be closed in those conditions.
However while up in the air, planes are able to handle winds much higher, like I’ve dealt with 200kts winds in the A321 before and have been fine, which leads me to believe the issue isn’t actually the wind…

1 Like

would you be kind enough to contact me on Instagram @bk.aviation and then I can send it to you there :)

any chance you could drop a message to my instagram @bk.aviation or to my email balazs.kocsis.2005@gmail.com so I can send it to you there?
Thanks!
Balazs

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.